Art Director Courier MediaLondon, England, GB
The Art Director at Courier Media will be part of a small team delivering an established bimonthly print magazine, monthly broadsheet and project-based client work, as well as collateral for annual and quarterly branded events and workshops, podcasts, advertising material, social media and our website. On top of managing and executing regular weekly and monthly deadlines, the Art Director will be responsible for refining and protecting the visual identity of the entire Courier brand to ensure it is consistent across all assets.
Roles and responsibilities:
Work directly alongside the Editor-in-Chief, Managing Editor and Editor on the bimonthly magazine and monthly broadsheet. This will include:
- Layout planning and pagination
- Concept development and future planning
- Curation and/or creation of visual content
- Managing a junior designer
- Managing print deadlines and liaising with the printers to send the magazine and broadsheet to print
- Managing and briefing contributing photographers, illustrators and freelance designers.
- Planning, briefing, commissioning and artistic direction of photoshoots.
- Artistic direction and design of the magazine, broadsheet and related print and digital assets.
- Managing the printing process and liaising directly with the printer and softproofer.
- Artistic direction and design for the website, Courier Workshop podcasts, weekly email, any marketing material, event collateral and social media platforms.
- Maintaining a consistent multi-platform visual identity while evolving and refining the design as needed.
- Assisting the team with design needs as they arise.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a related role.
- Alignment with Courier’s, mission and philosophy.
- Proven ability in adapting and managing concurrent projects and competing priorities.
- Highly competent using Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Experience in or strong understanding of the print production process.
- Outstanding visual ability and creative flair.
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment, and calmly and assertively manage and lead a team.
- Ability to work to, and evolve, an established house style.
- Experience in brand and visual identity development.
- Proven ability to solve problems creatively and under pressure.
How to apply
Please send your cover letter (who you are and why you’re great for this job – 500 words or less), your CV, and your portfolio via email.