Creative Director IlluminationSanta Monica, California, US
Illumination is looking for a creative leader, with extensive experience bringing world class animated characters to life who will oversee and be responsible for conceptualizing and drawing our character art poses, collaborating with our film makers, Universal designers and artists, to accurately execute our characters in art assets and products. This position will report to the SVP, Creative.
- Develop character designs for the different Illumination properties
- Supervise, direct and review character art and illustrations produced by internal and/or external (freelance) artists. Ensure work meets Illumination’s high creative standards and ambitious marketing goals.
- Review and provide feedback on a variety of style guide character art programs as well as correct poses, keeping them on model and on concept.
- Execute our characters in various illustrative styles from photorealism to highly stylized.
- Review and provide feedback on a variety of “character based” product ranging from food items
- to toys, publications to fashion accessories.
- Oversee the tracking and documentation progress on all Product reviews, Visual Developmen tasks and Production art tasks.
- Responsible for mentoring and training Universal artists in their growth and best practices.
- Partner with Supervising Directors to ensure the aesthetic requirements on final designs.
- 10+ years of experience in consumer products, animation, or equivalent
- Expert in understanding and illustrating all Illumination character/properties
- Solid drawing skills and understanding of anatomy and perspective required
- Broad knowledge and ability to execute Illuminations characters in various illustrative styles from
- photorealism to highly stylized
- Clear and diverse visual development skillset
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes in toys, plastics, 3D home goods
- Strong artistic knowledge with understanding of forms, materials, composition, perspective, color,
- anatomy and lighting
- Familiarity with the Animation process and Storytelling as a medium
- Expert level proficiency in Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator required
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and constantly changing environment
- Receive and give feedback in a motivated and invested way focused on what is best for the
- product or style guide.
- Excellent communication skills in presenting ideas in formal and informal settings