Creative Director WeWorkTokyo, JP
We are looking for an experienced, motivated, collaborative, battle-tested Creative Director of Design who is passionate about delivering carefully considered, beautiful, functional products that people love to use. You will join a dynamic, fast-paced environment and lead a team of very talented designers who will help create products that deliver value to WeWork’s rapidly expanding member community.
About the Role
It’s an incredible time to be a part of WeWork! As a company, we’re energized by the idea of introducing self-starters to WeWork, providing them with the appropriate information to choose their best WeWork solution, and then relentlessly focusing on building products to help their businesses become more successful. In the Digital world, this means building a variety of products tailored to prospective members, current members, and member-facing WeWork staff that help to expand the WeWork community, and make those within the community as happy and successful as possible. We’re rapidly expanding & iterating on our product line to meet the needs of the groups above, and aim to deliver world class interfaces for solving their key problems. Our product portfolio spans across platforms, including web, mobile web, iOS, Android, and more.
We’re hiring for a Creative Director to lead our team of designers who are responsible for the user experience associated with our world of products. This leader is someone we expect to be extremely well-versed in the design process, is comfortable leading larger teams, is capable of representing design at the executive level, is comfortable establishing & building upon a true design culture, and who knows how to empower a strong team of designers they oversee. The person in this role is also expected to collaborate deeply with leaders across disciplines to ensure design is not only appropriately represented in key discussions, but also help design lead the way in connecting the dots between organizations or groups that otherwise operate is disparate fashion.
We are a high growth start up, and our culture is very much that of a budding company. As such, this person would need to be extremely comfortable working in a fast paced, less regimented, highly innovative environment that suits self-starters and those comfortable with ambiguity. That said, we are looking for someone who has past experience leading larger teams and has been exposed to working in larger companies with established design disciplines to bring that perspective and experience to the organization.
One extremely valuable benefit of designing products at WeWork is our proximity to our customers. We work beside them daily! As a result, we care deeply about our connection to customers, customer-centric design, and delivering solutions to real customer problems. We are uniquely positioned to be better connected to the pulse of our customers than anyone else in the world. We regularly take advantage of this proximity to build experiences that solve real-world needs identified by real people.
We thrive in our work-hard, play-hard culture. We get serious things done. Then we have fun, and lots of it. If this describes where you want to work, you’ll fit right into our team.
- Lead a rapidly growing design team of 10+ responsible for web, mobile web, and native products serving prospective members, existing members, and internal member-facing WeWork employees
- Establish disciplined design process that the team globally adopts and thrives within
- Set a standard for how cross-functional tech teams should be collaborating with design, and visa versa
- Determine appropriate sharing cadences for design work at both working team and executive levels
- Standardize design practices, tools, methods, and approach leveraged by designers within the team
- Represent design at the executive level
- Liaison with leads across Product, Engineering, Research, Brand, Physical Product, and other organizations to ensure effective collaboration across units
- Empower team of strong design leaders to do what they do best, while also providing regular, productive guidance on how to improve our end-to-end experiences
- Make key decisions on a variety of matters consistent with clearly articulated goals and objectives
- Manage personnel effortlessly
- Recruit relentlessly to continue to build out our bench of design talent at WeWork!
- 8+ years of Design experience, including 3+ years leading teams of 8 or more
- Several years of working within, and a large company with a design org larger than 50 people, and leading design teams in that setting
- Mastery of the design process, and establishing consistent process & practices across many groups
- Driven end-to-end product thinker who sees the forest through the trees and shows the ability to think strategically, and be a visionary for user experiences
- Experience representing design at the executive level
- Notable collaborator & demonstrable ability to reach across disciplines and connect organizations through design
- Excellent presentation & communication skills
- Thrive in a fast paced work environment that requires independent self-direction with an aptitude for team collaboration and open communication
- Fluency in best practices for native and web-based design, as well as strong knowledge of information architecture
- Extremely adept in the design tool suite, and finger on the pulse for best design tools for you and your team to be leveraging
- Exceptional leadership with the confidence and integrity to earn client and internal team confidence quickly
- Experience with & working knowledge of interactive or motion design
- Background in technical development, with a well-grounded understanding of how systems are built and the limitations that do/don’t exist as it pertains to design
- Demonstrates passion and excitement for the opportunity to solve some of the industry’s biggest user problems that exist beyond the pixels on a screen
- Ability to set a new standard for design excellence in this company and elevate the design organization to new heights