Design Director AlationRedwood City, California, US
Alation created the Data Catalog, a product that empowers people to make better decisions with data. And with over 100 customers, Alation is the leading Data Catalog company. By way of analogy, a Data Catalog is to data what Yelp is to restaurants. You can search or browse Yelp to discover and research restaurants based on a variety of metadata - cuisine, rating, neighborhood, reviews, photos, etc. We built Alation to empower data analysts, business users, data scientists and engineers to do the same with their data.
Alation catalogs all of a company’s enterprise data, wherever it resides and whatever type (databases, reports, dashboards, streaming sources, file systems, etc.) and makes it searchable, browsable, and documentable. Using a combination of machine learning and human collaboration, the Alation Data Catalog provides critical context about the data itself - is it current, is it PII, what is its lineage, when and how should it be used, who are the stewards I can ask to learn more, etc. Alation brings all of this together into a unified, collaborative application that empowers a more curious and rational world.
As a Product Designer at Alation, you’ll be tasked with some of our most visually appealing and impactful interfaces – from helping to push forward and evolve Alation’s Design System Fabric, to empowering our customers to customize Alation to better fit their needs. You will be accountable for crafting delightful, usable and useful experiences that inspire curiosity in knowledge workers everywhere, empowering them to make better, more rational, data-informed decisions.
Our Product Design team is a tight-knit, low ego, super collaborative group. We believe design is a catalyst for change that empowers knowledge workers inside companies to be more data literate. You can learn more about us and our team at our design team site: alation.design.
Please include a link to your portfolio. Submissions without portfolios will not be considered.
- help design the future of how people make decisions with data.
- work collaboratively with product management in defining product strategy.
- take ownership of large product design projects that may include helping to push forward Alation’s design system Fabric, to empowering our customers to customize Alation to better fit their needs.
- design a product used by thousands of people every day at companies like BMW, eBay, LinkedIn, and more.
- think through user problems and design experiences that are delightful, impactful, beautiful, and implementable by our amazing engineering team.
- have 3-5 years experience working as a product designer.
- be excited to work within our team values system.
- love making things beautiful. You have a deep understanding of composition, balance, symmetry, and white space.
- have a deep understanding of what makes an experience useful or ineffective – grounded in user empathy and insights.
- read this entire posting and put a link to a gif of a puppy or kitten (your pick) doing something cute in your cover letter.
- thrive when working in a rapidly growing environment.
- be humble. We love feedback here. We hope you do too. You use it as an opportunity to learn and grow.