Design Director YotelLondon, England, GB
Yotel is looking for a senior design manager to join its team in London.
Yotel was conceived in 2006 , inspired by the luxury of first class travel uncompromisingly designed around guests. YOTEL currently operates four airport hotels under the YOTELAIR brand in London Gatwick, London Heathrow, Amsterdam Schiphol and Paris, Charles de Gaulle airports; and three city hotels in New York, Boston and Singapore. YOTEL is expanding rapidly with new hotels under development globally, including a YOTELAIR in Singapore Changi Airport and new city hotels in San Francisco, Istanbul New Airport, London, Dubai, Edinburgh, Miami and Amsterdam.
As we grow and continue to innovate in our different brand segments, YOTEL, YOTELAIR and YOTELPAD . The senior design manager will support YOTEL’s product growth and estate quality in adherence to brand direction and standards. You will contribute a high level of specialised knowledge and skill in your discipline, working with some independence, managing design implementation on projects to ensure quality control, brand compliance and operational acceptability.
Working together with the SVP design and construction to develop the new generation YOTEL product and continued concept evolution and innovation. The role will include constant development of YOTEL design and brand standards.
The role suits a self-motivated, team player with integrity who is passionate about design with strong influencing skills and experience of working across borders and cultures.
Role and responsibilities:
- manage project communication to owners, investors, internal project stakeholders and disciplines
- project evaluations; conduct site and desktop design feasibility studies to assist the development team in their appraisal of potential YOTEL projects
- coordinate criteria/facilities programs for assigned projects
- responsible for documenting, maintaining, administering and improving the processes for delivering services
- continually seek methods to improve processes
- design development; assist in working with local architects, interior designers, consultants, and on-site internal/external project managers to ensure the designs are customised to a YOTEL operable standard
- participate in design workshops and site visits
- provide information, interpretation and guidance daily to outside owners/investors as well as internal design/construction staff for adapting brand standards to specific projects
- document review; independently review drawing and/or specification submittals for brand compliance. Compose written recommendation and approval documents for internal and external publication
- track and report key project milestones
- maintain a healthy curiosity for trends, competitors in related and non related business’
- work alongside the SVP design and construction to create and develop new and existing concepts and be part of the innovation team in compiling new ideas and concepts for trial
Qualifications and education requirements:
- a recognised RIBA Part-III or equivalent degree qualification
- 10 years of relevant experience working in the architectural industry with solid exposure to the working disciplines of hotel development, design and construction
- a portfolio of design experience displaying strong design skills and technical detail
- experience of managing projects
- fluent in both spoken and written English
- ability to travel as required
- strategic thinking relative to the business
- effective communication skills, with the ability to clearly and concisely express ideas both verbally, in writing and graphically
- excellent interpersonal skills that build trust and instil confidence, motivate and influence others
- creative and pro-active
- strong project management skills, including evidence of having managed a project delivery
- ability to take initiative to identify, prioritize and implement all elements required for team to fulfil responsibilities in accordance with core strategic goals
- strong problem-solving skills, including ability to effectively address any issue in collaboration with others as appropriate
- ability to work well under pressure and effectively handle multiple, concurrent demands and appropriately prioritise responsibilities
- ability to collaborate with others and act in an objective manner in order to effectively solve problems and stay on track towards accomplishing organisational goals
- competent experience working with CAD programs, as well as freehand drawing
- experience working with Microsoft Office Suite; Outlook, Excel, Word and Power Point
- experience working with Adobe Suite is beneficial (Acrobat Pro, Photoshop, Illustrator) and SketchUp