Designer Adopt-a-Pet.comSan Francisco, California, US
Senior UI Designer
Adopt-a-Pet.com, North America’s largest non-profit adoptable-pet search engine, believes there’s a home for every shelter pet… they just need to be seen by the right person at the right time. By opening a virtual window into every shelter pet’s cage and letting potential adopters peek inside, we help nearly 18,000 animal shelters and rescue organizations find great homes for their pets.
We’re founded on the principles of fun, passion, loyalty, playfulness, and work/life balance. Our small, mostly-distributed team operates like a well-oiled machine and regards itself as a family. We truly care about each other and the cause we work for. Our non-profit status has helped us build an impressive slate of technology advisors, and you’ll be collaborating with them. Design is important to our world, as one small tweak to the product can, quite literally, result in thousands more animals finding homes.
That’s where YOU come in...
As Senior UI Designer, you’ll be involved, hands-on, in every design innovation and improvement, from redesigning existing interfaces to visualizing wireframes, while creating a new visual system for an array of new products. You’ll work with the Head of Design and Strategy to set a standard in design and execution at Adopt-a-Pet.com. You’ll get to use your talent in visual design to create elegant, simple solutions, and you’ll also collaborate across disciplines while mentoring junior designers and helping shape their professional skills and design perspective. As the Senior UI designer on our team, you’ll have the opportunity to make a huge impact, both on Adopt-a-Pet.com and on the lives of homeless pets and the people who adopt them.
- a design expert: You have a solid understanding of designing for mobile and responsive web and best practices – usability, navigation, interaction design, user interface design, and web technologies. You are effective in planning the design delivery and executing high to low fidelity mock ups with little direction. You are experienced with preparing assets and design specifications for development teams. You are comfortable working with, maintaining and creating style guides and pattern libraries
- a team player and self-starter: You are extremely proactive in helping to move our projects forward while mentoring junior designers on the team, you understand how to apply feedback from users, leadership and team members. You collaborate well in a cross-functional team setting, and working directly with front-end development teams is your second nature
- a nerd: you have a passion for simple, clean, intuitive interface design. You love to geek out on typography, colors, and animation design, yet you are not afraid to dive into nerdy conversations with developers to assess feasibility and all things front end
- a prototyping genius: you have kick ass prototyping skills, you don’t mind rolling up your sleeves to build rich prototypes from scratch, at the same time, you are enthusiastic about creating simple mock ups to a/b test design directions, and working iteratively as you gather user feedback until you arrive to the most impactful solution
- experienced: You have at least 5 years of experience designing complex web applications, you have a strong design portfolio that demonstrates your expertise in responsive design strategies and the creation of high and low fidelity mockups and prototypes, design specifications, and other deliverables for development
Competitive salary, awesome benefits (fully-paid medical, dental, vision and a 401K plan with company matching, unlimited vacation days, an annual $700 reimbursement for pet health expenses, and a generous annual personal development allowance), mega-flexibility, work-life balance galore, and a fantastic team of highly-motivated, smart people to collaborate with.
Adopt-a-Pet.com is a distributed team, so often you’ll be alternating between working on your own/collaborating via Zoom with your team and spending days in a creative office with the Head of Design and Strategy and other team members. Ideally, you’re located in the San Francisco/Bay Area. But if you are ridiculously amazing and not living in these areas, we want to hear from you too!