Designer AlationRedwood City, California, US
Alation was founded in 2012 when PhD engineers from Google, a designer from Apple, and an executive from Oracle teamed up to help people to connect with the data they need. Today, our team consists of creators and communicators with varied backgrounds. From Stanford and Cal, big companies and one-man startups, the United States and abroad, we all came together to work toward a shared vision of a world where informed decision-making is the norm.
We’re based in sunny Redwood City, CA and funded by top investors like Andreessen Horowitz, Data Collective, and Costanoa Venture Capital. Our customers include Square, GE, Pinterest, and some of the world’s largest organizations, with thousands of employees. Design is of critical strategic importance to us. It’s in our DNA.
Please include a link to your portfolio.
We don't consider submissions without portfolios.
Some of the things you will be doing include...
- Help extending and defining our brand
- Help build a beautiful, extensible, Brand Design System / Brand Book
- Designing and developing marketing and sales collateral to explain products and solutions to customers and users. Formats may include: Presentations, Websites, Booth Cards, Physical Booths, Infographics, White Papers, Pop-up books, Etc.
You should... (in no particular order)
- have a strong understanding of design theory, yet love breaking the rules once in a while to create something truly innovative and unique.
- love typography. You watch the film Helvetica on the weekends. For fun. You know the difference between Arial and Helvetica, and you’re not afraid to tell people why Helvetica is better.
- intuitively (and maybe even formally) understand color, and color theory.
- read this entire posting and put a link to a GIF of a puppy or kitten (your pick) doing something cute in your cover letter(we’re not into trick questions, but great design requires reading the requirements to deeply understand stakeholders)
- be confident working across diverse aesthetic styles. Your portfolio shows how you’re able to take a style guide (from Dropbox’s to IBM’s), and create something truly beautiful and artistic with it (or even create your own!)
- be well-versed in the Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.) and ideally Sketch.
- be a wizard with the rubber stamp tool in Photoshop. You're so good, your friends don't trust any of your impressive pics on social. #nofilter #okmaybe
- thrive when working in a rapidly growing environment. You’re stoked to play a key role in setting the design culture, being the one of the first members of the design team, and helping lay the groundwork for great design for years to come.
- be excited to work within our team's values system.
Nice to haves (in no particular order)
- Shutterbug. You’re great at (or have great interest in) taking breathtaking photos.
- A wordsmith. You love to write and are awesome at it.
If you want to create a world changing, impactful brand, come join us.