Designer Beyond Words StudioLondon, England, GB
Applications Close: 29 January 2018
Beyond Words is one of the world’s leading data visualization studios. We’re a collaborative group of journalists, editors, researchers, designers and developers who love creating narratives with data.
The clients we work with range from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to the BBC, Google to the UK Government, Kew Gardens to Quartz.
We’re looking for a couple of full-time designers to join our crack creative team working in our Shoreditch studio. Ideally you’re London-based. But we’ll consider international applications if you’re prepared to make the move...
You’re demonstrably into data visualization and infographics, either working in it full-time or with numerous self-initiated or freelance projects to show us.
You’ll know your treemaps from your icicle trees, and how to choose the right visualization device for the right data. You’ll understand editorial hierarchy. You’ll have a solid grounding in graphic design, typography and layout. An extra bonus would be coding, data tools (such as D3 or Python) or motion graphic experience. Or an editorial background.
- Working in a tight-knit, highly collaborative team
- Concepting, sketching, working up ideas
- Artworking, fine-tuning and graphic design nit-pickery
- Exploring colour, style and type routes
- Plotting, mapping and schematising data
- Liasing with our editorial team to refine data and answer questions
- Creating moodboards for self-inspiration
Qualities we’re after:
- Unfailing enthusiasm for data visualization and information design
- Passion for information, knowledge and understanding things
- Familiarity with Beyond Words’ considerable library of ambitious work
- Strong visual sense and good design taste
- Incredible attention to detail, triggering proper “upset” if elements are misaligned or wrong
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Not fear of data, information, research or spreadsheets!
- Responsive to feedback and creative direction
- Ability to work and maintain creativity under pressure
- Ability to work speedily on drafts and not get too attached to versions (this is teamwork!)
- But also able to “lock in” and pursue a design-idea to its limits
- Ninjascopic skills in Illustrator and InDesign and ideally experience with Sketch too
How to Apply
Sendl portfolio and / or links by email with subject line: “Data Unicorn”