Designer BlackboardAustin, Texas, US
With nearly 20,000 organizational customers and millions of student users, Blackboard is the world's leading education technology company. Blackboard is shaping the future of education with big ideas that challenge conventional thinking and advance new models of learning. Every day we’re inspiring people to find new ways to learn, connect and drive change in the way education is delivered and experienced. Through technology and services we bring people closer to the knowledge they seek and to ways they can change their own education and the world for the better.
Every day we make design decisions that impact millions of teachers, learners and everyone involved in the full educational experience. It is both challenging and exciting!
We are looking for Designers with the right aptitude and attitude. In this role you will be a key player in helping determine the future of Blackboard’s products. We are looking for designers who can work across both web and mobile platforms and can take an active, hands-on role in a highly collaborative group, creating and socializing best-in-class work to business owners while working with technologists to implement designs. Qualified candidates will share our belief that design is as much about behavior and emotion as it is about utility and ease of use.
Specifically, day-to-day responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Building visual design explorations, comps, interactive simulations, and production specifications
- Working with other designers and developers to produce and ship product
- Working within existing brand guidelines, and extending these guidelines in new ways
Core Required Skills/Experience
- You are a design geek with knowledge, skills, and imagination that spark new ways of thinking.
- In-depth knowledge of design disciplines and principles.
- Power user of industry-standard tools such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Sketch or any prototyping tools.
- Strong collaboration skills and ability to receive and incorporate critique from peers as well as stakeholders, as well as provide meaningful critique.
- An outstanding body of work that incorporates design thinking (or other similar) methodologies where people are the center of the solution.
- Proven ability to handle multiple design projects at different stages of delivery at the same time without sacrificing quality.
- Demonstrate an exceptional eye for detail.
- Comfort with close collaborative work where you may lead or you may participate in any given project, always contributing fully.
- Bonus: A background in user research or other qualitative means to inform designing for the user.
We are looking for someone who:
- Is a team player with excellent communication, negotiation, and presentation skills.
- Is passionate about honing their current skill set and increasing it where necessary for personal growth and to support the team.
- Is unwilling to accept inefficiency in getting things done. Enjoy working quickly.
- Is highly organized and motivated, with a desire to prove him or herself within a company of talented individuals.
- Is both self-motivated and able to motivate colleagues.
- Holds him or herself to high standards of accountability, owning responsibility around design decisions, timeline, and quality.
- Has exceptional listening skills.
- Is a hybrid interaction and visual designer.
- Is determined to transform the experience of education.
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary based on your experience and portfolio. Please provide samples of your work with your application.
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.