Designer CollegeVineCambridge, Massachusetts, US
Freelance Product Designer
CollegeVine is looking for a product designer with UI and/or UX experience to provide a human touch to the future of higher education planning and attainment.
Our company pairs talented college students with motivated high school students to help them discover their passions, expand their perspectives, and build their resumes—essentially serving as the high-tech guidance department they wish they had. You can read more about us at https://www.collegevine.com.
Beyond guidance and mentorship, there is college admissions. As it stands, the current admissions process is a huge source of stress and confusion for students and parents alike. If we execute correctly, your work will impact the entire next generation of college graduates-to-be. Our brand reaches a significant percentage of high-school students and their parents.
You will join a fast-moving company whose culture centers around authenticity, excellence, and balance. You'll find that everyone likes to keep things simple and transparent. We prefer to be goal-oriented and hands-off so long as you are a self-starter. Agency and autonomy are our default modes; in exchange, you are expected to bring professionalism and responsibility.
This position is a freelance/contract job that has the possibility of leading into a permanent position. You must be willing and able to join us at our Cambridge office near Alewife Station for a majority of the workday.
In your application, please indicate to us whether you have a preference for UI or UX, and where you see your strengths. We have openings for both, but the requirements and attributes that we look for are different.
For applicants specializing in UX, we require the following:
- Relevant industry experience on a product and/or design team.
- Systems thinking approach to design, such as an ability to quickly understand complex workflows and simplify them.
- Solid project management skills: the ability to communicate clearly, schedule your time appropriately, and manage against risk.
- An intuitive understanding of our problem space: it helps if you've been through the modern college admissions process, for instance.
For applicants specializing in UI, you will be tasked with plugging into and evolving the visual identity and culture of the company, so strong graphic design skills are a must. Beyond the aesthetics, we care about:
- Relevant experience: you have previously worked on a design team for at least two years, preferably at other startups/growing companies.
- Fluency with the tools of the trade: Sketch, InVision, Zeplin, Adobe CC, etc.
- Good presentation skills to share your vision and show off your hard work, but also the ability to deal well with constructive criticism.
- A moderate understanding of HTML/CSS/JS—enough to intuit how your designs may impact front-end developers.
We offer a competitive salary and a full suite of benefits, some of them unconventional, but awesome for the right person:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance. (Only for permanent and full-time positions)
- Flexible hours with a 4-hour core - plan the rest of your workday as you wish, just give us the majority of your most creative hours. Productivity ideas: avoid traffic, never wait in line at the grocery store, wake up without an alarm clock.
- Goal-based environment (as opposed to grind-based or decree-based environment; work smarter, not harder; intelligently, not mindlessly). We collaborate on setting goals, but you set your own process for accomplishing those goals. You will be entrusted with a lot of responsibility and you might even experience fulfillment and self-actualization as a result.
- Join an engineering culture that celebrates mindfulness and takes the quality of your attention seriously.
Remember: We’re a startup. You’re an early employee. We face challenges. We have to ship. Your ideas matter. You will make a difference.
CollegeVine Engineering website Powered by Workable