Designer FormatToronto, Ontario, CA
[ Visual Communications Designer ]
Are you an experienced visual communication designer who is motivated to affect problems faced by fellow creators? Are you inspired by inventive communication and visual precision? Do you enjoy being part of a team that shares your passion for art and design equally with a passion to drive results? Do you define a “good day” as one where you’ve shipped out something great and know that it’s going to make an impact? If so, read on!
Format is looking for a passionate, Visual Communication Designer to join our mission to further entrench Format as the world’s leading online portfolio builder and platform for visual artists. Part design rebel and part design principles champion, as our Visual Designer you’ll report to our Creative Lead. From our website and landing pages to display ads and beautiful video and static content pieces, you’ll produce design solutions from concept to execution that aligns with our brand and inspires action from our audience. You’ll collaborate with stakeholders to develop big picture strategy, work on key initiatives with our direct and content marketers and partner closely with developers to produce final assets and design guidance.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Interactive & Website Design: You are editorially-minded and have demonstrated the ability to balance strong brand design with direct response elements that, together, deliver websites and landing pages that engage.
- Video & Motion: You don't just think statically but see story expressed through movement and time. Demonstrate ability to edit video and produce motion graphics.
- Display Advertising: You know how to produce design assets for key social and advertising platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and the Google Display network in service of a larger visually cohesive and unified communication program.
- Content Design: From infographics to emails to guides and collections you’ve demonstrated the knack to showcase content in a beautiful and readable form.
- Design Passion and Curiosity: Your understanding and intentionality for design and typography show in your executions. You’re as much a student of design as you are a fan and, of course, are super comfortable with the Adobe Suite, Sketch and Invision.
What we'd like to see in our ideal candidate
- You have a minimum of 3 years of experience
- You are inventive and resourceful and can turn your ideas quickly into implementations. We move fast, but we are smart about it.
- You are curious by nature and are continually seeking the new insights, design patterns and concepts that resonate best with customers/your audience.
- You are super organized but equally focused on getting things done.
- You believe in collaboration and enjoy adding value and getting value by engaging with others.
- You’re probably your own toughest critic and have an internal drive to produce design solutions that work and helps the entire team succeed.
- You are absolutely passionate about the creative and visual artist community.
Some Reasons our Team Loves Working Here
- We strive to deliver a world-class experience for our customers by delivering exceptional work that we’re proud of.
- We emphasize a highly collaborative and egalitarian environment. Everyone builds things and collaborates across departments. The best solution can come from anywhere or anyone.
- We’re fierce defenders of a healthy work-life balance. We work smart, not long.
- Respect, trust, and honesty. Personal and professional maturity is important to us, and we keep each other honest.
- We pay competitive salaries and have flexible vacation and work-from-home policies.
- We provide great benefits: extended health, dental, life, and disability.
- We’re located in Toronto’s up-and-coming Tech Hub, at the creative intersection of Liberty Village/Parkdale.
- We frequently celebrate our achievements after work (or in the middle of the day if it’s sunny).
- We have a beautiful rooftop patio (BBQ included) that our team can work from in the warmer months!
- We close our office the week between Christmas and New Years to give our team some much deserved time off with their friends and families.
- Some of our in-office perks include: a large desk equipped with an Aeron chair and top-notch Apple gear (take a peek here), curating what music gets played over our office Sonos speakers, catered lunches on Mondays and Fridays, and drinking as much espresso, coffee, and tea as you like.
- We have an amazing team that will be eager to help you succeed in your role and grow and develop in your career. Learn more about us: http://wayswework.io/features/format.
- We trust ourselves and our team to do what’s right. We empower each other and don’t micromanage.
How to apply:
If this sounds like the right place for you, then get in touch! We can’t wait to meet you. This is a full-time position based in Toronto, ON.
To apply, please fill out the form below. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No recruiters, please. Format is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a work environment that is both diverse and inclusive.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, creed, disability, or age.