Designer KingfisherLondon, England, GB
We want to create good homes by making home improvement accessible for everyone. Our ambition is to become the leading home improvement company. To deliver our ambition, we need to become one company, which we will do by building on the already strong local identities, teams and communities across all our retail brands and functions. We are investing in working better together, to make the most of our scale and to better serve our customers.
One of the ways we’ll achieve our ambition is by developing a complete, unique and unified home improvement offer based on customer insights.
We’ve recently created a new product design team based in Paddington and Lille (France) headed by product design director Theo Williams. We’re continuing to build the team and are now looking for a senior designer to lead a team to drive the vision forward. creative designers with retail experience that understand product design (industrial design), range building and product development are what we need.
You and your team will:
- design technically achievable products, from category briefs from ‘across the home’.
- create directional product specific orientation books.
- deliver clear phases of the design process, from research, sketch, illustrate, render and present.
- research internally and externally (the market place) and shows.
- develop and present a clear understanding of the solutions for customer needs.
As a senior designer you will be responsible for:
- managing a team of designers
- managing more than one category for product briefs
- designing products
- delegating and managing products to be designed by your team
- coordinating multiple briefs with your direct team based in Paddington
- coordinate and correspond with other senior designers and junior designers work, in Paddington or Lille
- to be accountable for a team of designers who are responsible to deliver a project
- to be conscious of coordination with others to maintain a ‘look and feel’ across all product developments where products might overlap, work together or be manufactured together irrelevant of their category
- to work with product leads for each category
- responsible to adhere to the brand guidelines for product style and ‘police’ the CMF guides
- to coordinate and correspond with the style team, engineers and innovation teams
- to liaise and manage certain external design studios
- leading a high performing team and creating a talent pipeline (portfolio of externals and interns)
- to create and or manage critical path for projects
- keeping up to date information on the progress of each project you are accountable for
- keep weekly/monthly meetings with the other senior designers to make sure you are aligned on all briefs being developed. To enable to keep the deliverable on track but also to keep multiple briefs aligned, consistence and coordinated ‘on brand’
You will be part of the Kingfisher OSC team: the design studio. You will influence senior designers, designers, junior designers and interns. You will work closely with the head of design – product, head of design – product CMF & style direction and the head of engineering – product & engineering.
- strategic capability and leading the design and development of product briefs
- ability to understand and respect the critical paths for product developments
- six to ten years’ experience in range & product design and development
- truly international and fluent in English and French if possible
- ability to understand and interpret deep customer insight
- understand how to develop products that surpass customer’s needs
- able to design products taking into account cost and conditions for production and for suppliers
- build quality from the start in product development, and critical factors for maintaining this
- understanding engineering. We have a large team of Engineers.
- experience of integrating sustainability into the product
- know how to implement successful ranges
- make use of packaging as a competitive advantage
- leadership capability to lead different core competencies, both managers and specialists
- able to co-operate and collaborate with all companies operating within Kingfisher
- has an eye for design: function, form and colours, value for money
- fundamental financial capabilities for understanding the make-up of net margin
- ability to move between strategic, tactical and operational levels
Becoming part of our new offer & supply chain function is a fantastic opportunity, we want to be able to provide our employees with roles where they feel engaged and empowered to move us into this new way of working. Alongside that we want to be able to offer a competitive benefits package that allows our employees to feel a valued part of our team.
Our Benefits package includes: competitive salary, pension, annual bonus scheme, Holiday entitlement and a number of other benefits. More information will be given on our benefits package after application.
Extensive global travel and openness to relocation if required.
How to apply
Please apply via our careers page at: https://oscrecruitment.kingfisher.com/765-senior-designer---osc.html and complete our online application form, attaching your cover letter and CV, along with a portfolio of your work.