Designer McQLondon, England, GB
Innovative, uncompromising, romantic, provocative, upholding the power of emotion and the touch of the human hand: these are all elements that describe the fashion of the house of Alexander McQueen. The brand is synonymous with modern British couture, renowned for its strong identity and celebration of unbridled creativity. Integral to the McQueen culture is the juxtaposition between contrasting elements: femininity and masculinity, fragility and strength, tradition and modernity. Under the creative direction of Sarah Burton, the house produces critically acclaimed collections, driven by unparalleled vision and respect for craftsmanship. Burton was made Head of Design for womenswear in 2000 and was appointed Creative Director in 2010. The luxury brand was founded by Lee Alexander McQueen in 1992. Among the greatest fashion designers of his time, the legacy of his work lives on.
McQ are looking for a Women's RTW Designer to follow the creative direction defined by the house, and effectively collaborate with all team members to ensure the creation of an inspired women’s ready to wear collection. You should be familiar working in a fast paced environment, finding creative solutions with excellent technical expertise.
How you will contribute:
- Follow the main collection, from design through to development across the women’s ready to wear product categories
- Responsible for the day to day follow up with product development teams, ensuring deadlines are respected
- Undertake research and produce sketches on Photoshop and Illustrator for Design reviews
- Prepare technical packs (including garment description for development)
- Creative development and draping on stand
- Undertake technical design aspects as well as participate and lead in fittings
- Support and oversee the work of placement students and graduates
- Work closely on seasonal developments directly with the in-house atelier
- Effective management of deadlines
- Responsible for maintaining a quality consistent, consolidated look across the WRTW category
- Work with merchandising teams to consider and incorporate commercial needs
Your Skills and Experience:
- An ‘all-rounder’ interested in all aspects of the design process (creative, draping and tests on stand, textile development, fittings, and follow up)
- Exceptional technical knowledge
- Previous experience working in a design role for a contemporary, high end brand
- Excellent experience in developing, organisation and sampling, working with developers internationally
- Collection range knowledge relating to sales and working with merchandising
- Market awareness of high-end contemporary product internationally as well as McQ’s design influences – street/youth culture, fashion/design/culture history
- Excellent computer skills (Photoshop, Illustrator and Excel)
- Adaptable, fast and proactive, with a high level of attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong portfolio demonstrating technical drawings (Illustrator), sketches and colour mock-ups (Photoshop)
This is a fantastic opportunity to become part of a dynamic team with a visionary brand that offers possibilities to learn and grow. Talent development is a managerial principle at Kering and we are committed to fostering internal mobility. Our common vision promotes leadership skills and helps every employee to reach their full potential in a stimulating and fulfilling workplace environment.
Kering is committed to building a diverse workforce. We believe diversity in all its forms – gender, age, nationality, culture, religious beliefs and sexual orientation – enriches the workplace. It opens up opportunities for people to express their talent, both individually and collectively and it helps foster our ability to adapt to a changing world. As an Equal Opportunity Employer we welcome and consider applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of their background.