Designer Refinery29London, England, GB
Refinery29 is the leading media and entertainment company focused on women with a global audience footprint of 249 million across all platforms. Through a variety of lifestyle stories, original video programming, social, shareable content, and live experiences, Refinery29 provides its audience with the inspiration and tools to discover and pursue a more independent, stylish, and informed life.
What Makes an R29er?
- You have a deep commitment and passion for the mission of R29 to motivate and inspire women through their own unique power, identity, and infinite potential.
- You have a deep knowledge and/or interest in women’s storytelling and reporting, as well as its distinct power to inform and drive conversation & change.
- You ignite possibility and solutions in even the most challenging moments, and you have an innate desire to strive for excellence and progress, through your daily work and your attitude.
Refinery29 is looking for a designer to join R29’s thriving Branded Creative team. Working in partnership with a variety of brands from fashion & beauty to lifestyle & entertainment this role will be instrumental in driving and creating best in class visual design for Refinery29’s branded creative department.
Reporting to the Creative Director, the designer will exude a creative vision and strong point of view, working collaboratively with the creative team, concepting the best ideas to delivering top-notch execution. The designer will roll up their sleeves, function independently in a fast-paced environment and constantly test, optimise and elevate the work created.
The designer will work across both the concepting and the execution phases of projects. This includes, but is not limited to mocking-up ideas and bring concepts to life, working on branding, logo creation, look and feel as well as signage for experiential activation, creating imagery (collages, illustrations, animation) using existing imagery and/or shot imagery (via Refinery29) as well as commissioning designers and illustrations for specific projects.
The designer will build and lay out content to Refinery29’s site specification - layout the story to help ensure the correct assets are created and that the delivered assets fit the template layout.
The designer will use Refinery29’s content management system, resize assets, upload assets as well as archive and load visual editorial work into the internal Digital Asset Management system.
Critically, to be successful in this role, the designer will need to be a team player, have a creative vision, be passionate and proud of the work and content delivered at each stage of the process: from concept to execution. The designer will need to have endless ideas and positivity, a can-do attitude and believe that there is a creative solution for every problem thrown their way.
- You are the day-to-day designer on the project, reporting to the CD and working alongside a creative team.
- You always keep an eye on new trends, new technologies, new formats, updates on social channels and audience evolution to inspire and be inspired in your everyday design work.
- You know through design how to bring concepts to life, making sure the designs ladder up to and meet the larger brands’ creative vision.
- You work simultaneously on several brands but treat each brand uniquely and create strong consistent stories/concepts for each.
- You oversee the execution (under the guidance of the CD) of the small, medium to large, design projects for the brand partner with an eye on unity and best in class aesthetic and storytelling.
- You will look out for potential brand challenges and will come up with solutions to pre-empt those challenges.
- You are a positive person, you are motivated and passionate about the work you do. You can think in the box and out of the box.
- You understand and execute the R29 brand & business vision, creating projects that deliver for R29 clients, brand, and audience.
- You collaborate with editorial, marketing, sales, account management, PM, brand strategy and sales to drive campaigns, processes and workflows to success.
- Understand in-flight optimisation of content, always testing, learning and improving the designs delivered
What you have
- Experience in an established media publication, advertising or branding agency, or in-house brand working across graphic design and/or print/digital production.
- A strong balance of identity, typography, layout, illustration and animation design skills.
- A multi-faceted visual background and the ability to ‘get’ the Refinery29 aesthetic and art direction and be able to integrate this into all branded content executions.
- Already have some knowledge of animation to give the assets created some movement (GIF creation).
- Impeccable taste across all facets of design.
- Strong, open, and positive communication style.
- A solutions-oriented mentality.
- Genuine ability to collaborate and contribute to a team effort but also to work independently to deliver on individual responsibilities.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under pressure.
- Deep knowledge of and familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud Products: Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects. (Keynote and Powerpoint familiarity is a plus), basic video edit skills.
- Strong desire to develop creatively and push the R29 visual brand forward.
- You will be line managed by an CD but you will not be micromanaged. You will be expected to take full ownership of your work, be independent in delivering content, as well as own your decisions and be accountable for those