Designer TargetMinneapolis, Minnesota, US
At the heart of one of the world’s best loved and most recognizable brands is an impeccable Product Development & Design organization. We thrive on the magic of discovering that just-right thing, and we infuse everything we do with our passion for affordable chic. We concept, develop, make and deliver the stylish new favorites that Target guests expect and deserve. We are uber-savvy trend and style experts who stay ahead of the curve, proactively identifying our market’s needs and exceeding them, every time. Join one of our dynamic and inventive teams to influence the style, quality and value that decisively position Target above the competition. Your input will have a direct and positive effect, whether on home, hardlines or apparel & accessories categories. Here, you’ll be close to the action of dreaming up and bringing to life the Target-owned brands that surprise and gratify guests, wherever and whenever they love to shop.
A role with the Design team means a big opportunity to start from scratch and create something truly original. Are you a design expert who can support your business by staying one step ahead of industry trends, new materials and techniques? Can you demonstrate the utmost attention to detail and create products that are unprecedented in the marketplace for their design and quality for the price? Then you’ll have success on our Design team who owns the design and development of all Target-owned brands, from apparel to home goods, and beauty to essentials. In close partnership with our merchant and sourcing counterparts, you’ll drive brand cohesion and continuity, ensuring that our products meet the merchant line plans, assortment strategies, price points and overall creative direction.
You’ll be accountable for and lead Owned Brand Product Design and Development with direction from design leaders to achieve overall product design strategy and merchant objectives. Designs lines for a category, brand, business or guest segment and has advanced proficiency/expertise in product design and development.
- Diligent approach to workload, maintaining good, timely communication with internal and external partners
- Drive and lead product research and design
- Is an industry expert; is able to forecast category, brand, business or guest segment trends
- Globally shops markets to identify category, brand, business or guest segment trends
- Travels to factories for development and execution of programs
- Drive and lead the concepts, selects color stories and develops fabrics, prints, trim and graphics.
- Leads professional presentations to Directors/VPs within the PD&D team.
- Drive and lead brand cohesion; partners with peers across the division to ensure continuity
- Drive and lead product designs to support merchant line plans, assortment strategies, price points and overall creative direction.
- Drive and lead collaborating with TD and TSS to identify, troubleshoot and resolve product issues.
- Input and maintain accurate information in a system.
- Delegates routine responsibilities to enable time for higher-level creative and strategic aspects of the role.
- Coaches Associate Designers and Designers and enables collaboration among the larger team
- Demonstrates ability to lead the total team beyond their role
- Is a committed team player who can be counted on to do their part and be relied on to work cooperatively with others
- 4 year Design, Fine Art, or similar degree.
- Minimum 8+ years of experience.
- Computer design system skills including Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Demonstrated high taste level and creative ability.
- Advanced understanding of textiles, garment construction/fit or raw materials & product production.
- Commercial sense, market knowledge, ability to research and apply market/trend information.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to successfully work in a team environment
- Ability to respond to business objectives with creative, innovative, and cost-effective design solutions
- Knowledge of product development processes.