Digital Designer DisperseLondon, England, GB
Disperse is a VC-backed artificial intelligence construction startup focused on improving on-site productivity with the help of computer vision. Our goal is to ultimately re-imagine the way building projects are planned, delivered and operated.
We're currently working on some of the largest building projects in London (e.g. Renzo Piano’s Shard Place, Wood Wharf) and have grown from 5 to 26 people over the past year. We have ambitions to expand significantly, which means that we are looking for passionate and enthusiastic talent to join the team.
We move at a high speed, and will provide you with immense opportunities for initiative, creativity and leadership. Our proudly diverse, international team is based in London, Sarajevo and Yerevan, and has a wealth of experience from construction management to computer vision and robotics.
We are looking for a dedicated and hardworking designer with a passion for great products and digital technology. If you are excited about creating and testing innovative design solutions, are eager to learn, and aren't afraid of diving straight into design challenges in a new industry, then this role is a great opportunity for you to grow and build your skills in an exciting entrepreneurial environment.
This is a hands-on opportunity to become a core member of our growing Product team as you collaborate with our product managers and engineers to build a solution that will transcend an entire industry. As part of the role, you will focus on developing and refining our design system, and will take the lead in shaping the UI/UX of our digital product and its visualisation features. You will be a vanguard of our brand and design language, ensuring all of our assets follow our visual identity. As an ambitious designer, this is also an incredible chance to gain leadership experience as you help grow our design team.
You’ll be working alongside a range of different teams and will be given lots of responsibility and ownership from day one. This versatile design role will offer you a unique firsthand experience around for you to learn what it takes to embed human-centered design into artificial intelligence-based solutions. You will receive regular mentoring from different members of the team to make your experience at Disperse the best it can be.
This is an opportunity to join at the start of something new, and if you prove to be a great fit after the 4-month probation period, we’ll happily convert you to an equitable full-time position.
Some of the work that you might be doing includes:
- Owning our UI and UX product design streams, constantly pushing yourself to create delightful, simple experiences for our customers.
- Partnering with people across the business (product, operations, business development, architects, our customers) to ensure your designs encompass varied perspectives.
- Working with our awesome development team as they ship product.
- Supporting our marketing and business development teams with the occasional print & digital promotional assets.
Ask anyone at Disperse what they love most about working here, and they'll probably tell you "it's the people!", "the team, of course", "the people and the Hedwig owls in the offices".
As clichéd as it may sound, we're very proud of the people we have and the close-knit, family culture we've built across London, Sarajevo and Yerevan. Despite the distances, we're united through the passion with which we approach our goals and the fun that we have along the way. We always look out for each other, no matter what. The following should give you a good idea what type of culture you'd be joining:
- We encourage proactivity and taking full ownership of problems and initiatives. We don't believe in micromanagement. Instead, we let you pave your own path and give you the space to continuously learn and grow even if it means taking a few detours.
- We support each other. If a process breaks or if you're struggling, you can always count on the people around you and the people far away from you, to help you get back on track.
- We run on feedback: direct and transparent praise and constructive criticism, communicated with the best of intentions. There is no other way to learn!
- Ideas and approaches are always judged on merit rather than source. We welcome discussions and challenges. This way everyone makes a tremendous impact no matter the role.
You should apply if:
- You are available for an immediate start and excited towards converting to a full-time position at the end of the probation period.
- You have a proven passion for UI/UX design and its latest trends, and a keen interest in disruptive technologies.
- You own a portfolio that can take us on a design user journey for at least two extensive projects and can give us insight into your decision-making skills.
- You have 1-2 years of work experience in a product design role.
- You have a good to great knowledge of product design and prototyping tools, such as Sketch/Figma, InVision, Indesign/Illustrator/Photoshop/.
- Flexible attitude and ability to learn different methods of design and agile working
- You're eligible to work in the UK. No visa sponsorship is available for this position.
Useful but not essential:
- Fluent in another language.
- Previous experience in a start-up environment.
- HTML & CSS knowledge.
- Pro-rata salary of £24,000 per annum for the first 4 months, then £30,000 - £36,000 per annum plus generous option package after transition to a full-time role (depending on experience level).
- Friendly, open and transparent culture.
- You'll get to join a passionate startup with proven traction on its scaling journey.
- Flexible working hours / ability to work from home.
- Regular mentoring and feedback.
- Awesome startup office in Central London, Fitzrovia.
- 25 days’ holiday plus all bank holidays.
- Free coffee.
- Regular socials, and team retreats to amazing destinations (Tbilisi, Sarajevo... Where next?)
The interview process will involve:
A review of your application and portfolio; A 15-minute chat where we both can learn more about each other; Homework assignment for us to get a sense of how you tackle problems; Two rounds of on-site technical and cultural chats with the team. If you are not currently based in London, we would be happy to speak with you over video chat; Final round to iron out any remaining questions you may have.
This process should take around two weeks, depending on diaries.