Graphic Designer DownstreamMelbourne, Victoria, AU
- A creative technology company that strives to do things differently and purposefully.
- Our work is diverse and challenging. One size never fits all, so we look to design and deliver the right solution to the right problem for every client.
- We work together to create best-in-class experiences, built on considered strategy and enabled by technology and people.
- A global company, connected to an international team. Each of our 3 office locations is producing exciting and innovative projects and technology.
We’re looking for a methodical and passionate Graphic Designer (mid level) with a keen eye for environmental graphics and an active interest in digital design and emerging technology. Experience delivering branded graphic solutions for the built environment is essential. You’re capable of working on a project from inception through to delivery and take pride in the details during each phase. Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
Concept development: Ideation and collaborative sprints. Development of a central design idea. Brand interpretation and guideline application. High quality concept visualisations. Consideration of and input into strategy documents and artefacts.
Design Details: Visual concept development including compositional layout, management of content assets including photography text and associated type setting and basic photo retouching. Materiality / finishes specification and companion documentation. Collaboration with a 3D designer to create visualisations for client presentations.
Finished Art: Final artwork for output, including colour management, proofing, file preparation and hand off.
The role also requires an active interest in digital design, digital culture and a desire to work in a dynamic multidisciplinary creative environment.
Our projects may take the form of some of the below.
- Branded environments
- User journey / experience strategy
- Signature graphic applications
- Signage & wayfinding
- Technology integration / joinery detail (supported by a 3D designer)
- Digital content ideation, development and production (e.g. artful brand expression, digital signage, data visualisation. Narrative driven video shorts.)
- Large-format, multi-screen, high-frame-rate user interfaces
- Non-standard input methods, including touch, gesture, voice, and beyond VR and AR experiences
You are someone who has the following attributes:
- Have an excellent understanding of communication design (you fuss over language and challenge briefs from an informed perspective)
- Excellent understanding of brand application and execution
- Take pride in typographic skills and keep an eye on trends and influences
- Excellent image manipulation skills (manual/hand made, bitmap and vector)
- Contemporary aesthetic sensibility
- An exacting attention to detail
- The ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Personal initiative and a desire for genuine collaboration
At Downstream you will
- Be responsible for producing a broad range of strategically driven and highly polished visual design outputs
- Work with discipline leads, supporting scoping activities, concept development and identify and executing feasible solutions
- Participate in strategic activities and support the delivery of associated documentation
- Be a voice and advocate for visual culture, brand application and relevant influencing trends
- Prepare finished art with meticulous attention to detail
- Practice applied design thinking
- Work with a killer team of passionate thinkers, makers and doers
- Always be working toward a solution
- Work fast on the tools (Adobe CC and more)
- Be generous with your knowledge
- Share and develop your craft
- Have a strong work ethic and work independently when required
- Have an inquisitive interest in the latest techniques and technologies
- Have a passion and commitment to solving complex design challenges
- Have the ability to see projects through to completion with an innovative and curiosity-driven approach
- Take the initiative
Skillset / Experience:
- 4+ years professional experience
- Have worked on a number of branded environments projects - e.g. workplace, sport, retail, real estate and precinct
- Worked on a number successful branding / campaign projects
- Superb software skills
Nice to have
- Agency experience
- Design experience with performance sport brands
- Video editing experience
- Digital design skills and experience (UX and UI)
A few of the perks:
- Working with a dedicated, respectful and often irreverent, team of designers, thinkers, developers.
- Located on one of Melbourne’s wonderfully busy laneways, in the middle of the action. Lunch is filled with foodie options!
- Regular team lunches and social events.
- We promote work-life balance and a flexible/humane professional environment.
- Unlimited gourmet coffee (NB Requires own barista skills. We provide the beans and the coffee machine)
Invitation to apply:
If working with the best in an exciting and rewarding team environment appeals to you, then we want to hear from you. Please apply with your Cover Letter detailing why you want to work for Downstream and why this role is a relevant fit for you.