Industrial Designer PentlandNottingham, England, GB
Building a family of brands, for the world to love, generation after generation
Pentland is the name behind some of the world’s best sports, outdoor and fashion brands.
We own Berghaus, Canterbury of New Zealand, Speedo, Boxfresh, Ellesse, KangaROOS, Mitre, Prostar and Red or Dead. We are also the global licensee for Lacoste Chaussures and Ted Baker footwear, the UK licensee for Kickers, and are shareholders in other companies such as Hunter, Butterfly Twists, Heidi Klein and Tracksmith.
We’re a third-generation, family-owned business – and we retain strong family values. We care about people, and that’s what drives our day-to-day work. This year the Great Place to Work® Institute recognised Pentland Brands the 11th Best Workplace in the UK and the 16th Best Workplace in Europe. Our global headquarters is in the UK and we employ 2,000 people across 20 countries around the world.
We believe that doing business the right way, with respect for people and the environment, is essential for ensuring our long-term sustainability - generation after generation. The Pentland values are at the heart of what we do and how we interact with the world around us.
For further information, please visit www.pentland.com
To execute design creation of all Active Industrial product (in swimwear, teamsports and outdoor) delivering compelling solutions that are desirable to consumers and in line with brands DNA and brands strategies.
- Responsible for conceptualising and delivering industrial designs against Brand seasonal creative direction and product briefs, whilst maintaining Brand DNA, VBL and branding guidelines;
- and seasonal deadlines are met and critical paths protected;
- To support and influence the Creative Lead role in the development of creative direction;
- To support the design creation of complex, technical or strategically important NPD / Innovation initiatives that are critically vital to Brand’s plans, working closely with Creative Leads and Innovation Leads;
- Deliver consumer focused design solutions achieving consumer and commercial targets as set on the product design briefs;
- Ensure outputs have a coherent offer to seamlessly merchandise with other product categories, combining desirable aesthetics with credible performance / technical needs;
- To inspire the industrial design team to push creative boundaries;
- Presents at design and development reviews to ensure overall design intent is retained throughout the development process to final sign-off;
- Deliver outputs in a clear, concise and articulate format, with detailed information as required;
- Supports Technical and Development Teams to execute design intent through sourcing, working cross functionally with internal colleagues and vendors when required;
- Actively research the market, looking further than immediate scope of work and produce detailed reports for wider design and product team
Needs to have
- Educated to degree level or robust experience in Industrial Design or a related consumer-led field;
- Proven track record of delivering successful considered and desirable industrial design solutions;
- The ability to articulate design solutions with clarity and conviction, both verbally and visually;
- Excellent understanding of design thinking and how it can drive value to the business;
- Strong understanding and affinity of the consumer and their needs, in multiple markets and social cultures;
- A clear vision of how to constantly improve brand desirability;
- Collaborates effectively to maintain and develop trustful relationships with peers across the business or multiple functions and within the product leadership team;
- Knowledge of rapid prototyping, and 3d modelling Proficient in Rhinoceros 4.0 and Solid works, Adobe Illustrator, PhotoShop, PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, plus excellent freehand drawing and rendering skills.
- Strong understanding and consideration of hard goods manufacturing processes and limitations – tooling, materials, finishes, construction, assembly.
- Proven ability to work within a critical path and meet deadlines, managing time efficiently to achieve completion of a professional standard of work
- Clear understanding of commercial constraints and KPIs in product;
- Ability to work across multiple functions with experience of working in a matrix structure a benefit;
- Strong emotional intelligence to assess, learn quickly and course correct as necessary;
- Very organised, structured and comfortable working with a minimum of supervision towards meeting short-term and long-term objectives;
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills;
- Gravitas and conviction, able to create support and belief across the organisation;
- The ability to travel and spend time away from home
Needs to be
- A designer with solid record of delivering desirable consumer products in sports, equipment, footwear or other relevant industry;
- Assertive to resolve conflicting design arguments
- Enthusiastic about design, inspiring, creative, forward-thinking and energetic
- Self-motivated and comfortable with constantly challenged to raise the bar
- A good communicator, both interpersonally and within a group conveying strong brand empathy
- Able to work under pressure to tight deadlines and able to multi-task
- Pushes oneself to exceed expectations
- Is perceived as credible and an expert in the industrial design field
- Able to work across a matrix structure with key functions and stakeholders
- Adaptable, versatile and open minded