Other BBC WorldwideWhite City, London, England, GB
Software Engineer - BBC Good Food and Top Gear
We are seeking a highly-skilled, collaborative software engineer to work in small agile teams across our leading web properties, BBC Good Food and BBC Top Gear.
Applicants should have a fundamental understanding of computer science; be well versed in engineering best practices and software design patterns; and be able to demonstrate experience building scalable responsive web and mobile applications using a combination of technologies.
Several of our products use Drupal 7 as their core CMS, so experience with this is essential but applicants should be keen to learn and use other technologies where required.
- Contribute to a detailed understanding of technical requirements
- Collaboratively design and develop fit-for-purpose solutions that are flexible, secure, maintainable and performant
- Work with 3rd party teams and other in-house teams
- Use appropriate toolsets for full SDLC
- Passion for agile delivery methodologies
- Ensure high quality through Behavioural and Test Driven Development (BDD/TDD)
- Write efficient, testable, reusable and well documented code
- Write automated tests and work with QA team to ensure compatibility and quality
- Explore and understand new and existing solutions and solve complex problems
The Ideal Candidate
You will have a fundamental understanding of computer science; be well versed in engineering best practices and software design patterns; and be able to demonstrate experience building scalable responsive web and mobile applications using a combination of technologies.
Key technologies (essential experience required):
- Experienced in designing REST APIs, and understanding API design and integration patterns
- Experienced in cloud technologies, particularly Amazon AWS services
- Willingness to support your team’s solution(s) through in-hours and out-of-hours rotas
- Demonstrable experience writing and maintaining robust and performant software, using scalable web architectures and approaches
- Minimum of 5 years of combined web-based software engineering experience
- Competence in assessing and developing non-functional solution aspects (analytics and monitoring, performance and capacity, security and privacy considerations)
- Enthusiastic about sharing knowledge with others
- Willingness to support your team’s code through in and out-of-hours rotas
- Able to adapt quickly to understand new-to-you technologies
- Highly curious about experimenting with new-to-everyone technologies
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills
- Collaboration/Team oriented with the ability to be self-reliant
- Degree in Computer Science or comparable background/experience