UX Designer 3MMaplewood, Minnesota, US
At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.
3M is driving creativity and design as a competitive platform for innovation and brand globally to enhance design-driven solutions for people and the world. We are looking for a Senior UX Graphic Designer for our Health Care Business Group to enhance the design function at the 3M Design Center, located in Maplewood, MN.
The person hired for the position of Senior UX Graphic Designer will work with cross-functional teams to create user-centered designs and workflows in support of programs of major importance across the 3M Health Care Business Group. Responsible for leading and supporting on experience and visual design to bring to life experience strategies, applications, user interface platform/ ecosystems. Define visual design principles and language for digital interface that express the 3M brand, identify visual user interface requirements, create guidelines and define design approach.
Does your curiosity inspire you to imagine tomorrow’s solutions to today’s problems? Do you ever wonder how collaborative creativity can enrich innovation and make progress possible? Or wonder if design can drive competitive advantage for business, while also having positive impact on the world? These are just a few of the questions we ask at 3M Design every day.
Our diverse, global team not only includes design talent from multiple creative disciplines, but also achievement-oriented professionals who keep the engine going for strong operations to ensure our design organization is world class. We’re looking for creative explorers who are excited to be part of the very inspiring journey of design at an innovation company like 3M driven by curiosity.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
Senior UX Graphic Designer primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Create world-class user interfaces and visual designs from concept to execution for desktop solutions, web-based products and mobile applications.
- Handles major new projects in parallel, organizes and manages assignments in an agile manner in support of business plans, organizational plans and 3M’s reputation and brand strategy.
- Leads and facilitates UX design workshop with stakeholders, builds high-fidelity interactive prototypes, and conducts concept testing/usability testing and produces reports.
- Translate interaction wireframes into visual designs that are visually engaging, simple and intuitive.
- Convey visual design ideas in tangible forms like concepts, annotated comps and cut assets.
- Assumes leadership role for building UX pattern library, style guide, and visual design guidelines.
- Develop visual design languages and systems including layouts, grids, photography, iconography, UI elements and others.
- Supports to build design knowledge by participating in divisional activities through interactions with outside technical or design organizations.
- Apply visual language to the design of web interfaces and mobile applications for variety of devices with different screen sizes, aspect ratios and pixel densities.
- Willingness to be fearless about driving new ideas, and finding beautiful and powerful ways to communicate them.
- Has a considerable impact on the direct work group/team, providing coaching and leadership. Decisions may affect the organizational effectiveness of multiple work groups or teams, important programs in the department, the next higher organizational tier, and/or related activities within the direct functional area.
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited university in design, graphic design, visual communications, industrial design, design strategy or user experience design
- Minimum of three (3) combined years of professional experience in user experience design and/or visual design, with experiences in designing solutions for desktop, web, and/or mobile applications on a variety of platforms
- M.S. in Design Strategy, Graphic Design or Visual Communications, or a related field or equivalent practical experience.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant work experience in the design industry.
- Experience with creating web-based products, mobile applications for iOS and Android.
- Excellent visual design skills, layout, typography, and colors.
- Experience working collaboratively with other product managers and engineers in a variety of settings and strong communication skills with the ability to articulate positions and advocate designs.
Please attach a file or include a link to a non-confidential portfolio of design work along with your application.
Location: Maplewood, MN
Travel: Up to 25%
Relocation: Is Authorized
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status)
Learn more about 3M’s creative solutions to the world’s problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.