UX Designer ALUNairobi, Nairobi Area, KE
You are a multi-talented designer who really loves the “experience” side of UX. You think comprehensively about experience, and you know that the interface and the flow are in service to the whole, rather than being the whole in and of itself. You thrive developing high-level concepts and translating concepts into discrete requirements. You are a highly effective collaborator who gives clear, actionable feedback that maintains a high standard. At the same time, you know how to give others the space to create and do their best work.
About the design team
ALU has embraced a human-centred design ethos since its inception, with a primary focus on experience design across our in-person and digital experiences. As we begin a new growth phase, we are ready to build out our design function to focus on user experience, digital products, and visual identity.
Our Design Team will include UX designers and researchers, UI designers, and visual designers; in the future, the team will expand to include product and service designers as well. The team has a critical role within ALU: defining and refining end-to-end ALU experience for students, faculty, and staff. To that end, the Design Team creates the frameworks, processes, and systems that support concept development, prototyping, execution, and evaluation related to the ALU experience. As part of this, the Design Team also supports other teams in applying strong human-centred design approaches in order to keep the overall experience aligned.
About the role
UX Designers at ALU are systems thinkers who develop intuitive design solutions to an incredible array of different problems, from how students build self-directed learning journeys, to how community members can discover and collaborate with each other to develop projects together, to how new employees get onboarded and up and running.
- Creating blended physical and digital experiences that keep the user at the core
- Defining and scoping projects in collaboration with product owners and the Head of Design
- Using user research, market research, and usability data to inform concept development
- Creating storyboards, experience maps, and personas that build buy-in for proposed solutions
- Translating concepts into use cases, scenarios, and design requirements
- Building and testing low-res prototypes that blend in-person and digital experiences
- Creating the high-level conceptual structures and end-to-end experience design
- Developing design systems for intuitive experiences across physical and digital elements
- Expertise in at least one of the following and experience in at least one other: interaction design, service design, space design
- Proven track record in creating excellent brand and design work from concept to production
- Knowledge of layouts, graphic fundamentals, typography & limitations of online and offline design work
- The ability to storyboard or translate ideas to designers and others, influencing external and internal stakeholders
- Strong attention to detail
- Working knowledge of online and offline design, brand development and the creative process