UX Designer OstmodernLondon, England, GB
Who we are
Ostmodern are a mix of researchers, designers and technologists based in a bright and energetic studio in Shoreditch. We’re committed to designing, building and evolving the world’s best video-based consumer products.
The company was founded as a UX and Design agency, specialising in video-on-demand products for clients like Channel 4 and ITV in 2006. Since then, we’ve built on our excellent reputation, expanding into the sports industry and building up our technical capabilities, allowing us to deliver products end-to-end.
Today, we’re proud to deliver flagship products for major broadcast and sports organisations, including Formula 1, BBC, Arsenal, and Channel 4, right down to tiny startups who can benefit from our expertise. We operate at the high end of our markets, working with clients who want to innovate, and who appreciate the importance of user insights.
Spotting the absence of a fast and flexible next-generation CMS in the market, we simply developed our own. Skylark is a purpose built platform, shaped by the unique insights we have learned from years of creating innovative digital products for our clients. It has helped us as a business in learning what makes a good product and also given us the chance to learn about building a great product.
How we work
We hire people who know their craft, and love working alongside colleagues with varied skill-sets, backgrounds and viewpoints. We believe strongly in the power of empathy; working as a united team, learning what forces are driving and challenging clients, and understanding their audiences’ motivations and anxieties.
We work in cross-discipline project teams, who are given full ownership of their delivery and client relationship. Teams work in scrum methodologies, and are encouraged to hone their approach, finding right blend of ceremonies and tools for them and their client. Together, they solve difficult problems and deliver innovative, intuitive products that millions of people use every day.
As a UI designer, you’ll work with peers who genuinely care about the craft of design, and constantly challenge themselves to improve the way they conceive and execute design systems. You’ll be integral in the process of defining and designing the products you create; we don’t treat UI design as an afterthought, you’re not just here to ‘make things look pretty’.
You’ll also benefit from working with our vastly experienced Design Director, who has spent his career designing groundbreaking products for clients like BBC, Arsenal, BFI and Channel 4. He remains hands on with the UI team, passing on his considerable expertise and helping designers realise their full potential.
How we relax
We’re here to work hard, but not work ourselves to death. We have beers and cocktails every Friday, and breakfast (BreakfOst™) every Wednesday. People hang out together in various ways, either climbing, playing chess, competing in the darts league, or just going to pub.
We have a monthly all-staff meeting, quarterly off-sites, and each team has a monthly social budget to use however they choose.
We’re looking for a talented UI Designer to join the Product Design team in our Shoreditch studio. You’ll report into our Design Director, and receive guidance and support from our Senior UI Designer and of course the rest of the team
- A designer with a desire to work on real consumer products that form part of peoples’ daily lives
- Aware of design trends but not dictated by them; an original thinker who enjoys creating products beyond the norm
- Excited to work on projects end to end, from product strategy and definition through to iteration beyond launch
- Systematic in your approach to product design languages; simplification, consistency and efficiency are important to you
- A rapid prototyper; happy to use a myriad of tools to explore design solutions in differing fidelities
You’ll work with:
- UX, to design the product structure, interaction paradigms, layout, UI and workflows
- User Insights, to thoroughly understand the audience you’re designing for
- Developers and QAs, to understand the technical considerations affecting the product
- Clients, leading them through the process and theory of design, enabling them to have thoughtful interaction with us about the things that matter
You’ll get to:
- Work with one of the most talented and supportive Product Design teams in London
- Execute design on large projects for TV, tablet, mobile, responsive web, and emergent technologies. You’ll supervise the UI Design team on smaller projects
- Create beautiful, intuitive, and innovative design systems, across UI, interaction and motion design. Use a wide range of design, prototyping and animation software to do so
- Improve both yourself and the UI Design team, and help to shape the direction of our design offering in the years to come
- Keep yourself and the UI Design team informed on developments in the industry such as graphical trends, new interaction patterns and shifts in technology
We will provide:
- Yearly bonus based on company profits
- Own Macbook Pro to work on, which you are welcome to take home should you choose
- Time off at short notice and work from home when necessary
- Cycle to work scheme
- Pension scheme
- A monthly entertainment budget to use with your team
- After 3 years, you'll be eligible to take a sabbatical career break
How to apply
If this sounds like your dream job, please apply telling us why you’re right for this role, along with your CV and portfolio.
Applications must be submitted through Workable: