Creative Director Tjarks and Tjarks Design GroupPurley, England, GB
As a Creative Director, you will manage and drive design projects from initial briefing through to final presentation and delivery. You will be passionate, highly experienced in conceptual design, and a specialist in the packaging industry. You will also lead and support strategic design concepts that will be to client satisfaction, in keeping with the market and able to hold their own in a competitive global arena.
You will be proactive and use your experience to drive the standards of design within the department, you will lead the team in design and strategic direction, and make sure that work is commercial and to the highest quality. You will act as deputy to the Head of Creative and be keen to drive change and bring new ideas to the design team in order to cultivate an innovative culture. You will lead the department and establish new processes, ways of improving the workflow and build cross departmental communication to ensure an accurate, commercial approach.
It will be important to work with the existing leadership team to build new processes and use your experience to enhance current workflow through the studio.
Founded in 1992 with offices in Purley, London the company has over 28 years experience in producing highly innovative designs for brands and own-label products. Its success is founded on long-term relationships based on integrity, reliability, loyalty and trust and it has grown its employee headcount to over 50 employees.
The company’s strong work ethic and family values meant it has grown as an agency organically through client recommendations; today by demonstrating its market leading expertise with global retailers, its client base continues to grow. Its multinational team are incredibly dedicated, and specialise in design, artwork, digital illustration, web development, 3D visuals and consumer strategy.
- Design direction of the team on a daily basis to ensure all creative work is hitting the brief and executed to a top level.
- To have a thorough understanding of the client core brands.
- Take complete ownership of all assigned design projects from initial briefing through to final presentation to head of creative, overseeing the development and creative excellence throughout the design process.
- Provide thought leadership on all brands thinking beyond the brief and asking questions to challenge account managers and designers.
- Thorough understanding of all the brand guidelines to ensure consistency across all SKUs.
- Sign off retouching.
- Elevate current processes and suggest new workflows.
- Guiding the design team in the right strategic direction for the brands and presentations.
- Work collaboratively with both the artwork and creative team to create, shape and evolve brands ensuring the design is accurately represented in the final artwork.
- Check designs to ensure a high level of precision and accuracy.
- Work with style guides and brand guidelines to ensure brand compliance.
- Ability to work on conceptual briefs offering creative, innovative solutions to help drive the business forward.
- Attend all briefings and have necessary research beforehand.
- Be available to assist account management and artwork with questions and queries with regards to design jobs and ensure full understanding of the client’s brief.
- Present designs to Head of Creative on a daily basis ready for approval. Take on-board feedback and delegate to the team accordingly to get the best results.
- Present designs on brief, on time, in budget, in line with the company’s values and to client satisfaction in a fast-paced environment.
- Ensure all deadlines are met within project budgets.
- Champion the company’s high standards.
- To assist the Head of Creative in setting a new standard for quality and independence in the team.
- To manage designer(s). be responsible for onboarding, training and developing, inspiring and motivating team members.
- Organise 1-2-1 meetings and be responsible for general day to day line management, ensuring there is adequate cover during absences.
- Responsible to make sure all team members conduct their work profitably and efficiently.
- Train and oversee members of the design team to make sure that designs are presented on brief, on time and in line with the company’s values.
- Attend design and project briefings.
- Ensure designers are aware of their jobs and deadlines and assist department heads with wider workflow.
- To deputise for the Head of Creative as required and by initially spending some time shadowing the HOC to learn the role.
- To grow into the right-hand person for the Head of Creative.
- Aid the Head of Creative in new business presentations and pitches.
Job Skills and qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience in FMCG/retail packaging (food/alcohol) design.
- An outstanding portfolio of commercial food packaging design.
- Experience in managing/mentoring/developing a team.
- To be part of (and shape) a strong and entrepreneurial creative team.
- Ability to establish, strengthen and nurture the design team to constantly improve.
- Ability to take ownership and responsibility to take design projects from initial brief through to final presentation.
- Running large roll-outs with on and off-site design teams.
- Understanding of working to tight deadlines and know how to choose the best process and tools to deliver on time and in budget.
- A creative thinker, concept generator, a