Art Director The Public House of ArtAmsterdam, North Holland, NL
The Public House of Art is a controversial kick ass art concept located in Amsterdam. We believe that art should be affordable to all; we are on a mission to free art. How do we do that? By exhibiting and selling collectable artworks in a fun, multi-sensory environment at attractive prices. We’re sticking up our middle fingers to the art world, by being different and maintaining a low threshold. Art for all!
We've launched three shows: The Awesome, Identity Kit and The Devil Inside Me; we're launching our next exhibition in September. Our badass team is expanding and we are looking for a creative powerhouse who gets turned on by curation and art direction for a full-time leadership position (5 days/week). Together, we’ll build up a database with more artists and even more artworks! Soon we'll set up an ‘Artist in Residence’ space in Amsterdam.
Your main role will be to lead the curatorial team (2-3 people) and to set up the Artist in Residence space.
- Leading the curatorial team
- Setting up the sourcing process for new artists
- Taking a lead in selection of new artists and artworks
- Contracting artists
- Providing a clear direction of what art translates into sales figures
- Liaison between director/management team and artists
- Setting up an artist residency located in Amsterdam (this requires you to network with external parties to negotiate attractive deals.
- 3+ years experience in art direction, curating, and/or management
- High standard of written and oral communication skills in English and Dutch
- Very good at multi-tasking; can focus on your own responsibilities while handling several projects at once
- Strong interpersonal skills and management experience
- Sharp eye for details, but they don’t always have to be your best friend
- Experience in working with creatives (artists or other parties)
- High level of presentation
- Background in a creative industry
- Native English speaker, at least an excellent level (written/spoken)
- Hard core interest in contemporary art with an emphasis on photography
- Substantial network or knowledge of existing artists is a pre