Creative Director HarrimanSteelAmsterdam, North Holland, NL
HarrimanSteel is an independent brand experience agency who specialise in bold ideas that ignite emotions and trigger consumer behaviour.
We call this the “Art of Selling”. Pivotal to our business is developing strategic creative solutions that move the dial, and then crafting the output with meticulous precision, passion and care. We challenge our staff to think laterally, to exceed expectations and to always deliver best in class.
The Creative Director role at HarrimanSteel BV is a balance between creative leadership, design engine and directorial management. Working under both ECD’s, your role will see you primarily lead the Amsterdam creatives, to challenge the team to create the best results, to strive for innovation, craft and to think strategically about how their work can be effective in the real world.
You’re passionate about culture and the lifestyle brands we work with and you’ll understand how to change your shoes from Nike to TOMS, depending on the client - you’ll be able to speak their language, understand their unique objectives and oversee the creation of work that blends seamlessly with the brand - whilst pushing the dial.
You will have a natural aptitude to thinking about how brands land themselves within culture, demonstrating excellent creative instincts, and an instinctive understanding of marketing and communications strategy (even if not the specific science). You will seek to push the boundaries of each project you undertake to achieve the highest creative marketing standards.
You will have 8-10 years experience within a creative studio, with exceptional client communication skills, team leadership experience and passion for detail and craft in all creative that is generated. You will be expected to attend client meetings, coauthor and deliver compelling presentations that sell the vision, and oversee the team in delivering against this.
In addition, you will be responsible, alongside the management team, for further defining and curating a unique voice and point of view for HarrimanSteel in Amsterdam.
We believe the role is an exciting opportunity for the right person to take up the mantle and further shape our growing business in Amsterdam. You’ll value and champion our internal culture, whilst not taking your eye off the prize - the opportunity to become the leading brand experience agency in Amsterdam.
- Attend client meetings alongside your team - be this in a café, on a cycle ride or in an office. We’re not too choosy how we take a brief, we just like to know we’re getting to the heart of the business problem before we come up with the solution.
- Interrogate the brief - ask the right questions and take the time to understand the client’s business problem - the Creative Director should be sympathetic to the client’s business needs and have a strong belief in HarrimanSteel’s ability to become a trusted advisor to these (rather than a service provider).
- Lead the creative response to all briefs - define the creative vision and concepts, delegate to the team members - and work with your ECD’s to see this aligns with the HS approach.
- Be responsible for the progress of the project creatively - checking in and working with the design team to make sure we’re delivering against the brief and offering the best solutions possible.
- Thinking around briefs spotting potential opportunities for further development and new work with the client.
- Take on board the ‘bottom up’ ethos of HarrimanSteel’s approach to projects - working with management to plan the strategic response to each brief.
- Be responsible, alongside the EP and AM’s, that projects are delivered to the highest standard and quality, whatever the medium.
- Help to contribute and shape how we measure our work’s impact. We want to develop a meaningful business partnership with our clients not just be seen as executional services.
- Present our creative work with passion and enthusiasm to clients - you will be the face of the studio’s creative and your presentation style is key to its success.
- 8+ years experience in a similar environment - not limited to advertising.
- You’re a creative leader and and a multi-disciplinary talent: able to turn your hands to a broad application of creativity and lead others.
- Wide experience of and passion for all kinds of design and creativity, with specific demonstrable experience across digital and retail environments.
- Proven, solid experience in concepting, planning and directing campaign shoots covering photography and film.
- Confidence developing creative strategy that is fit for purpose - driving effectiveness through creative, that achieves our clients objectives.
- Sophisticated knowledge of the craft skills of design and art direction.
- Creative success working in collaborative and multi-functional teams.
- Proactive and independent, with high attention to detail.
- Excellent organisational, communication and time management skills.
- Deliver pioneering work from yourself and others who work with you.
- Experience and confidence working on a broad variety of projects, including social & digital content & planning, art direction for print & film, spatial, retail environments, exhibitions & events and 360/omni-channel campaign thinking.
- Strategic creative thinker - not just design for design’s sake.
- Nurture and support professional growth of team members.
- Achieve high level of internal and external satisfaction.
- Listen and respond to creative briefs, understanding if and where there are gaps.
Salary by negotiation, to start with a 12 month contract
How to apply
To apply, please email us with the subject line CREATIVE DIRECTOR APPLICATION and please supply the following:
Email with brief outline why you are applying
CV PDF with outline of relevant experience & technical skills
Portfolio PDF (low res) or link to portfolio website
Due to the number of applicants, only applicants who will be invited to interview will receive further communication.