Designer BuffBrighton, England, GB
Applications Close: 10 January 2021
We're looking for a passionate and dedicated Designer to join our in-house team. We want someone with an eye for great design and illustration to produce exciting visual concepts for motion projects.
Here are some qualities that are really important to us - if they’re shared by you then it’s likely you’ll be a great fit: attention to detail, dedication, collaboration, ambition, honesty and openness.
For this particular role, we’re not looking for someone who wants to become a motion designer. Having a passion for motion is key, but we’re looking for an out-and-out designer so please consider this when applying.
This is a studio based role so we won’t be considering any remote working applications.
We're a motion design studio in Brighton making animation for brands, agencies and non-profits. We opened our doors in 2014 and have grown organically to a team of seven brilliant Buffers today. Our studio was built with a strong focus on maintaining a good work life balance, efficient processes and open dialogue. Our goal is to produce share-worthy content that makes people feel happier and smarter.
If you browse our website, you’ll see that we particularly like to work for brands that are doing good in the world. Our team are really passionate about helping clients with a positive message. You can take a peek at our reel, to see if it’s the type of work you’d like to be making.
About the role
Our Designer is an expert visual communicator and collaborator. With an unrelenting passion for contemporary design, you conceive and execute beautiful visual directions to bring our stories to life. Being responsible for the clarity of each story’s visual language and the elegance of its delivery, your role is key to the studio’s successful delivery of a project.
You will be a versatile digital artist who’s equally comfortable in the worlds of graphic design & illustration, as well as being competent working in a broad range of styles.
The role will work closely with our animation team to develop art direction and storyboards for projects; producing key frame designs, style guides and assets ready for animation. It’s important that you can sketch up ideas with speed to help communicate concepts to clients, as well as produce high end final artwork.
As well as being a talented designer and illustrator, we’re looking for someone who wants to get stuck in and help build a great motion design studio: both in terms of work and culture. We want to hear from passionate people who will work hard with us to elevate the studio’s output and push creative boundaries to surprise & delight our clients. We also want to hear from those who love to work collaboratively and want to develop their own skills whilst helping to support & develop those around them.
- Further the studio's mission to create engaging and share-worthy content that delivers a clear brand message
- Be open and honest at all times
- Use time and energy wisely
- Collaborate with the team, valuing other people’s contributions, whilst being confident working autonomously in line with our values and objectives
- Continually strive to find improvements to processes and workflows that will enhance a project’s outcome
- Actively consider and make suggestions for ideas that will positively impact the studio
- Demonstrate a hunger to improve and develop in your role
Job specific objectives & duties
- Design content to facilitate the telling of stories on behalf of our clients or the studio. This includes:
- Designing style frames to demonstrate the animation look & feel.
- Creating assets and producing storyboards to illustrate the story scene by scene.
- Contribute to projects or pitches with your own ideas to improve the output of a job or help to win new work.
- Help develop our own brand and marketing collateral
- Assist the Creative Director in developing new and exciting ways to visualise complex scripts and messaging.
- Attend client meetings as required to gather information about a project, present ideas for potential work or share the progress of current work.
- Use methods to check your understanding of briefs or tasks to ensure smooth communication and prevent any misunderstandings.
- Ensure work meets the brief and is of a high standard, without errors or mistakes.
- Carry out regular research to keep up to date with the motion design industry including design related news and trends.
- Keep a log of time spent on each project for billing purposes and time spent learning or in training to keep a track of personal development.
- Develop skills as a Designer, asking for help and guidance where required.
- Keep a look out for and report opportunities to expand the studio’s client base.
- Make suggestions for and create regular and engaging social media content.
- Answer the phones and respond to emails in a polite and professional manner.
- Keep a tidy workspace and help to keep the studio a clean, pleasant space to work in; doing a fair share of housekeeping.
- Any other adhoc duties appropriate for the role.
Skills for success
- Passion and drive to develop
- Creative solution-finding
- Understanding of what constitutes great design for motion
- Design eye and understanding of design principles (colour, composition, typography)
- Proficiency with Illustrator and Photoshop (After Effects & C4D a bonus)
- Teamwork & collaboration
- Attention to detail and high standards
- Proactive approach
- Confident and clear communicator
What we offer
Open dialogue: Everyone gets direct access to the management team and is encouraged to share their thoughts and ideas. We’re a young, dynamic business; we’re not afraid to make changes if we see the value in trying something new - so it’s an exciting time to jump aboard and help shape our future.
Healthy studio culture: The company was founded on a desire to strike a good balance between enjoying a nice lifestyle and being committed to making great work. So whilst we’re passionate about what we do, it’s important to us that every person on the team feels happy and valued. It’s very rare to see us working into the night or on weekends, but if it happens then we give you that time-off back in lieu.
Development focus: We work together to support people’s growth and development. We have a solid review process to regularly reflect on successes and failures, with the goal of giving and receiving honest feedback to provide everyone the opportunity to get better at what we do.
Fair pay: We keep regular tabs on industry standards when it comes to salary and aim to reward people fairly with regular pay reviews. We’re also registered with the Brighton & Hove Living Wage Campaign.
Lovely working environment: We have a super studio space in the centre of Brighton (North Laine area), with plenty of natural light and everything you could want on our doorstep.
Nice-ness! We’re a friendly bunch who are honest, open and fun. We approach things with what we feel is the right mix of professionalism and appreciation that we’re lucky enough to make animations for a living… You can’t take that too seriously!
Other perks: As well as a standard holiday allowance (28 days with bank holidays for full-time staff), we close the studio for the festive season to give everyone more time to enjoy with friends and family. We try to organise regular social events, hold weekly breakfast meetings and finish early on Fridays to have a beer all together, whilst we watch through examples of work that inspire us. We also have a workplace pension scheme.
£22k - £30k per year, dependent on experience.
Applications close: 10th January 2021
Interviews: Throughout January / February
Start date: Flexible
Unfortunately we may not be able to respond to every application, but thank you for your interest in advance.
No recruiters or agencies please :)
How to apply
If this all sounds interesting then we’d love to hear from you. Please send over the following by email:
- A short message telling us a bit about you, your ambitions and why you feel the role is right for you
- Your CV with any relevant experience listed, ideally as a PDF
- A link to your portfolio or other work examples online
- An indication of your salary expectations