Designer Lazy OafLondon, England, GB
[Senior Brand Designer]
Start Date: ASAP
In 2001, Lazy Oaf was birthed into the world by Gemma Shiel, into a North London garage specifically, before taking its first tentative steps out in public at a market stall in Spitalfields alongside some old pornos because you know, sex sells?
Fast forward 20 years and we've survived floods, fires and a global pandemic. We have two stores in London and over a million strong community of loyal fans and customers from around the globe.
As a brand, Lazy Oaf celebrate the not normal in all of us. We have a wry sense of humour and we like to take risks and carve our own path. We do what feels right to us and don't march to anyone else's tune.
As we expand, we are looking for a Senior Brand Designer to own and drive the execution part of our creative world. Part of a team that is responsible for what we look like, the guardian of our graphic visual identity and we like to look good.
In collaboration with the Creative Lead, this role takes ownership and responsibility for identifying and delivering the brand and visual identity and it’s execution across all Oaf Outputs with a focus on digital but extends to all outputs from retail windows to our Bi-Annual Magazine, ensuring that Oaf is looking fresh as hell. This role is shaping the look of the brand, being creatively innovative, brave, bold and excellent.
- Working alongside the Founder and Creative lead to deliver a brand and visual identity that best reflects the brands objectives, authenticity and values.
- Part of the Creative team taking ownership over the creative execution of Brand and visual Identity across all oaf outputs and touchpoints with a focus on Digital. We are adapting to a more global digital world with growing digital demands, additional focus spanning socials, marketing comms, retail activations, offline, print and ad hoc creations when they happen!
- You are responsible for the creative execution part of the creative team, managing two team members, a mid weight Creative designer and a Junior Graphic Designer. Your role is to inspire, mentor, lead, nurture and curate the team and creative culture.
- We like to encourage bold statements and the odd ideas, so we want you to drive/create innovative design solutions with a focus on Oaffing up our platforms. We like visuals with impact, and we are a brand first business, so authentic storytelling is key to all our Design output, this needs to infuse our branding and shape our creative output.
- We want to function like an internal ‘creative agency’. Working alongside the creative lead to nurture and grow a collaborative, agile and creative way of working that encourages the team and their creative ideas, we get to shape how we work.
- Developing a creative execution strategy and work flow/process that best delivers a strong and consistent look and feel to our story telling and identity. This role requires you to find and drive these processes and manage timelines, planners and budget.
- To lead in developing and presenting concepts, mood boards, steering the ideation process, brain storming to building execution briefs. Ensuring values, objectives and intentions are clear, communicated and delivered.
- Internal Collaboration and great communication is key to Oaf’s success, onboarding stakeholders and keeping all in the loop, empowering and supporting each other.
- Present and communicate creative solutions with clarity, effectively selling in ideas to a variety of stakeholders across Oaf, keeping all updated as and when needed.
- Managing, Creating and delivering the creative design briefs ensuring that they are then executed by the creative team.
- Build and maintain brand guidelines – the guardian of what we look like, creating internal and external brand guidelines to ensure we are all keeping oaf looking consistently great.
- We build and nurture our own creative culture, communities and network. Managing our external Creative network - relationships – outsourcing to creative talent, initiating external briefs, clear deliverables and manage efficiency, and delivery of required content on time.
- Digital: So important we are going to mention it twice, this role requires a familiarity with a digitally driven brand and the creative requirements that come with that– thinking about all digital execution to include all assets, banners, stories, slides, animations, app updates, paid social content, Newsletter best practice. We want to be visually impactful, push the digital boundaries wherever and however we can. A familiarity with UI and UX is a bonus.
- Offline – driving creative execution across our offline channels also such as retail windows, events (when we can), presentations and toolkits, packaging, magazines and zines, order inserts, fold outs, newspapers, exhibitions, maybe even a coffee table book (oaffee table book).
- At least 5 years’ design execution experience in Fashion or Design
- Experience of a digitally demanding brand/ business
- A portfolio that demonstrates an understanding of contemporary design, typography, motion and brand identity.
- Experience and understanding of the end to end Design process
- You already get us! Have a passion for contemporary graphic design, style, streetwear, youth and creative sub cultures.
- You work collaboratively and an excellent communicator across all teams and functions.
- Excel, Word, PowerPoint: advanced /Outlook
- Experienced in design apps, especially a wizard on Adobe Suite.
- Workflow and project management apps
- Strong visual skills that provide impact, deliver creativity and tell the Oaf story.
- Fluent in English
THE FUNNY SIDE
We have an irreverent and wry sense of humour and take a sideways glance at life, celebrating the not-normal in all of us.
BARREL OF RISKY
We are non-conformist, unconventional and brave and we trust our gut to tell us what's right for us. We dance to our own tune.
It’s at the heart of everything we do. It’s both what we are and our style of approach. We are born from creativity and it’s the beating heart of the brand.
We are a resilient independent female-led business with the freedom and conviction to carve our own path and dance to our own tune
We build and nurture our own creative culture, communities and network through collaboration
We are community conscious, supportive and representative both internally and externally. We are proud of our diverse workplace and do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, race or sexual orientation.
HA.P.P.P.Y (PEOPLE PRODUCT PLANET)
We limit our negative impact from concept through to launch on the environment and all those involved. We champion Social Responsibility, and we do no harm
How to apply
Send us an email telling us a bit about you and why Oaf, your CV, a link to a digital portfolio along with a one page low res mood board that you think best captures the direction of the Lazy Oaf Identity to contact mail with the subject title ‘Senior Brand Designer’.