Graphic Designer EducationSuperHighwaySan Francisco, California, US
EducationSuperHighway is the leading non-profit focused on upgrading the Internet access in every public school classroom in America. We believe that digital learning has the potential to provide all students with equal access to educational opportunity and that every school requires high-speed broadband to make that opportunity a reality.
We accelerate broadband upgrades in America’s K-12 schools with data-driven programs and tools. In partnership with governors and state agencies, we work with school districts to get fiber to schools that need it, to ensure classrooms have robust Wi-Fi, and to make broadband more affordable. Our work served as a catalyst for modernization of the Federal Communications Commission’s $3.9 billion E-rate program, and spurred commitment from 43 governors to upgrade their schools. As a result, 30 million more students gained access to high-speed broadband in the past three years.
EducationSuperHighway is funded by national foundations including the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and our mission is supported by America’s leading CEOs. In 2017, we were awarded the Tech and Innovation Award from the San Francisco Business Times.
The Marketing team is a passionate group of talented individuals with two primary objectives: 1) build awareness of and drive demand for EducationSuperHighway’s programs and tools among state and school district leaders and 2) promote the EducationSuperHighway brand as a credible, trusted expert on the topic of Internet in schools. The Graphic Designer is responsible for creating visuals that capture the attention of our audiences and compel them to upgrade schools on behalf of students across the country.
The Graphic Designer is integral to our ability to build awareness among key audiences and catalyze action. The Graphic Designer doesn’t only make things “look pretty;” they use visuals to tell stories, transform data and technical concepts into actionable graphics, and build a recognizable brand that audiences will come back to. More importantly, you will ensure that strong design always places effective and intentional communication above artistic expression. Most of the design pieces you create will drive our marketing and communications efforts, but you will also work on presentations for senior leaders and reports for policymakers. You will play a leading role in ensuring consistency of the brand’s look and feel.
This is a full-time position where you will be the sole designer on a small but impactful marketing team. The ideal candidate will have 3-5 years experience working as an in-house designer. Must be capable of working iteratively across teams, in a fast-paced environment, to arrive at the highest-quality output. Must be able to take ownership of design from conception to production and simultaneously juggle multiple projects with limited supervision. This role will report to the Marketing Communications Manager.
Examples of the types of design projects you may work on:
- Digital marketing pieces including infographics, blogs, social media, email, newsletters, and webinars
- Print marketing pieces including direct mail, postcards, one pagers, white papers, and reports
- PowerPoint presentations
- Web layout and design
You may be the perfect fit if you:
- Have an extensive portfolio that is evidence of print and digital design solutions that support project goals
- Effectively use typography, iconography, color, space, and texture to create compelling visuals
- Generate ideas, concepts, and designs from beginning to end and are able to articulate “the why” and “the how” for design decisions you make
- Are wide open to feedback and willing to iterate quickly and often
- Understand or can quickly learn technical topics and translate them into clear visual stories for target audiences
- Have the interpersonal skills necessary to work with many different members of staff at all levels of the organization, including the CEO
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment and are comfortable with delivering on short deadlines
- Have a solid understanding of marketing strategy and how design can deliver on that strategy
- Are detail-oriented and committed to consistently high-quality outputs
- Have outstanding technical skills with the full Adobe Creative Cloud suite of products, WordPress, and InVision and can design brand-forward PowerPoint presentations
- Experience with video production, editing, and motion graphics a plus
If this role is exciting to you, we want to hear from you! To apply please send a resume, a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, and a link to your portfolio. EducationSuperHighway is an equal opportunity employer.