Graphic Designer International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA)Laxenburg, Lower Austria, Vienna, AT
The International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis seeks a talented designer to take a leading role in the development of our creative projects. The role encompasses the direction of our bi-annual magazine plus an array of design projects working both with departmental and institute colleagues.
The designer provides support to the communications function with regards to all creative materials and design projects from concept to completion, which may include print, digital graphics and web design, figures, photography, and illustration. He/She assures that each piece strengthens the institute’s reputation and reinforces institutional key messages internally and externally.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Graphic Designer creates and produces compelling and persuasive concepts, designs and associated graphics in a variety of forms, including but not limited to: high profile corporate publications (e.g. annual report, IIASA magazines, brochures, front covers of IIASA reports, fliers), web pages and web design elements (e.g., banners, icons), visuals for digital and social media content, exhibition materials (e.g., posters, displays) and visual material for scientists (e.g., infographics, imagery and retouching, presentations)
- Creates original graphics and illustrations, striving to discover simple solutions to complex problems
- Utilizes design techniques, tools and principles, and advanced layout and typography to articulate the institute's brand in fresh, effective and accessible ways
- Develops, implements, and serves as an ambassador for the institute style guide and supports consistency and quality of messages conveyed. Serves as a knowledgeable brand guardian by having a strong understanding of look, feel, voice and overall brand presence across a variety of project types and media. Provides consulting on brand, concept, purpose, audience, usage and distribution
- Leads the development and creative direction of our bi-annual magazine, this includes planning/briefing, overall look and feel, photographic direction, and design elements
- Provides graphic and production expertise to peers and department colleagues, providing clear direction and up-skilling colleagues within the department. Maintains a high degree of quality control through self-proofing and style guide adherence. Works productively and collaboratively with other Communications staff, IIASA scientists and IIASA suppliers (e.g., external printers) to produce high quality publications to strict deadlines. Sometimes proposing and developing original design concepts, and other times following a tight brief
- Works with the Communications Manager, manages the work of freelance graphic designers
- Plans, manages and develops the way in which IIASA uses new technology to communicate key messages to stakeholders
- Performs other tasks as necessary to benefit the department.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Fluent English, good knowledge of German advantageous
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or related field required; an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
- Three to five years graphic design/production experience
- A broad array of creative design experience: Print, web, graphics for social media, infographics, large-format graphics, signage, exhibitions and various other collateral materials, video a plus
- Must understand and be familiar with all phases of print production from concept through completion, including prepress techniques, equipment, and software
- Must be highly proficient in all standard computer applications, including Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Acrobat, with a thorough knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator), HTML, and motion graphics/animation
- Must be a team player with strong creative, problem-solving, and multi-tasking skills who is a flexible, energetic self-starter
- Experience in the creation of marketing materials that are in keeping with an established brand identity, articulate creative strategies and maintain high visual standards.
For full details about this opportunity and how to apply, please visit http://www.iiasa.ac.at/web/home/about/workingatiiasa/vacancies/170203_Graphic_Designer.html