Graphic Designer PublicaLondon, England, GB
Publica is a London-based urban design and public realm practice working to make our cities more successful, functional and beautiful. Publica surveys neighbourhoods, undertakes rigorous research and provides strategies and design for innovative, inclusive and sustainable growth, policy and planning.
Our multi-disciplinary team includes specialists in urban design, graphic design, communications and research. Publica’s in-house graphic design team has recognised industry-leading expertise in visual communications and a strong track record of articulating and communicating complex ideas in a way that is elegant, clear and accessible to all. We create beautiful, insightful and thought-provoking publications, infographics, presentations and visual identities which synthesise and promote complex ideas which are of benefit to society and the built environment.
We are looking for a talented and conscientious Graphic Designer to join our in-house graphic design team to contribute to the overall visual direction of the studio and implement Publica’s visual identity principles across all of our outputs, which can include publications, presentations, film, animation, photography, illustration, signage, colour schemes and bespoke project identities. This fast-paced role involves collaborating and working closely with Publica’s urban design teams, communications team and research team on the development of visual concepts and the production of a wide range of materials to a high standard.
The ideal candidate will have experience working on editorial design projects and taking them from inception to completion; an excellent eye for detail and typography within a fast-paced environment; the ability to work under pressure and manage deadlines across several projects; excellent communication skills and an enthusiasm for working collaboratively.
This role reports to the Director of Graphic Design:
- Editorial design of reports, presentations and other materials for Publica projects.
- Development of project identities and associated materials, and delivering projects from brief to completion.
- Production of materials: liaising with external printers and suppliers; source quotes and sample materials; and prepare documents for print and electronic delivery.
- The design and/or artworking of maps, infographics, photographs, drawings and other visual materials.
- Design and development of materials for the communications team, including: presentation design for talks and events, design of graphics for short films, websites, emailers and other associated marketing materials.
- Contributing to the design and production of tenders/pitches and competition entries.
- Implementing the Publica identity across all external communications and in-house materials.
- Day-to-day management of own workload across several projects and deadlines, liaising with project teams on content and schedules.
- Collaboration and coordination with projects teams ensuring clear communication around graphic design concepts, processes and timescales.
- To provide technical assistance to the wider project team for InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop.
- To respond proactively and efficiently to deadlines and with the ability to prioritise tasks.
- General design-related administration duties.
Experience and skills required
- A portfolio showcasing: Editorial design and typographic detailing; information design; identity and branding; examples of process and visual references; projects for print and digital formats; creative concepts and solutions executed well
- Experience of working within a collaborative design team in a studio environment.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to work individually as well as part of a wider team.
- Ability to take creative direction on design briefs and enthusiasm for describing and sharing ideas.
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to prioritise and multitask.
- Proactive, innovative, resourceful and self-motivated.
- An enthusiasm and awareness of current trends and developments in graphic design.
- Excellent working knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Keynote and Adobe Acrobat.
- Interest in architecture, urbanism and the public realm.
- Design and UX for websites and digital applications
- Film-making and photographs
- Working in-house or for clients in the architecture/urban design sector.
How to apply
- Portfolio in PDF format (15MB maximum attachment size)
- CV/Resumé (separate PDF)
- Cover letter that explains why you are interested in working with us and what you would bring to the role (any format)
Please send applications to e mail contact address with 'Graphic Designer application' in the subject line of your email.