An opportunity has arisen to join a young, international team in Cambodia’s capital, Phnom Penh, at Southeastern Globe Communications – the premier English-language media group in Cambodia. We are looking for an enthusiastic, talented Lead Designer with fantastic magazine design skills and the vision to take our publications to the next level.
With four titles that examine all aspects of politics, society, culture and business in Southeast Asia, the focus of the group is publications that equal and often better those being produced in more established ‘Western’ countries.
The group’s flagship title, Southeast Asia Globe, was established in 2007 and brings readers closer to the news through first-hand reporting from across Southeast Asia. Covering current affairs, business, society and lifestyle, Southeast Asia Globe digs deeper than other news outlets, offering a regional view with a global perspective. From its production base in Cambodia, Southeast Asia Globe is a truly international title – with distribution in eight countries, as well as dedicated apps, there is no magazine currently in circulation that offers the same reach and coverage.
The group’s other titles are Focus Asean, a quarterly business title that covers all of Southeast Asia; Discover, an annual luxury travel magazine dedicated solely to Cambodia; and Stuff Cambodia, a local licence of the world’s leading technology and gadget magazine.
As head of a small team of local designers, the Lead Designer will oversee all aspects of design on Southeast Asia Globe, Focus Asean, Discover and will have an advisory role on Stuff Cambodia, assisting that team where needed.
Alongside this exciting role, Cambodia offers the chance to enjoy a fantastic expat lifestyle. Great weather, a very high standard of living and a vibrant social scene are just some of the perks that come with living in this beguiling country. Cambodia has already established itself as one of the world’s top up-and-coming tourism destinations with hundreds of restaurants, bars and thrilling domestic travel opportunities.
Core duties and responsibilities:
• Developing creative concepts, graphics and layouts for all titles
• Understanding of editorial concepts and how to present them
• Coordinating with editorial team to determine cohesive graphic structure of the print editions
• Oversee design of newsletters, in-house adverts, apps, website, as well as promotional materials for the company
• Coordinating with third-party suppliers such as printers, copywriters, photographers, stylists, illustrators, or other designers
• Reviewing final layouts and suggesting improvements as needed
• Oversee preparation of final layouts and artworks for printing house
• Optimise photographs and all files for printing
• Quality control and oversight on production at printing house
• Well organised and an ability for multitasking
• Ability to work to tight deadlines
• Strong interpersonal, communication and comprehension skills
• Proven, excellent knowledge of design software, techniques and tools including InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
• Demonstrable ability to make difficult design decisions
• Proven knowledge of typography and grid systems
• Exceptional creativity and drive to exceed expectations month after month
• Proven, bordering on pedantic, attention to detail
• Good English reading and writing skills
• Photo selection experience a plus
Experience and qualifications:
• At least four years of industry experience, at least one year of which in a senior design position
• Degree in design, or a related field, a plus
You will typically work regular Monday to Friday office hours. However, when a deadline is looming or a project is on the horizon you will be expected to dedicate the extra hours needed to ensure clients, meetings or deadlines are met. You will be based in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, where we offer a competitive expatriate salary.
Please send your CV, a cover letter outlining your suitability for the role and relevant samples of your magazine layouts and design work to the following two recipients by September 20, 2015:
Publisher, Tassilo Brinzer: firstname.lastname@example.org