Location: TorontoDesigner (Maternity Leave Cover)
Contact: Send an Email
Contact: Send an Email
Reporting to the Design Manager, the Designer generates high-quality print and digital materials that create a strong, consistent, eye-catching, and inviting image of the Aga Khan Museum and its exhibitions, events, and educational programs. The Designer is responsible for design solutions, from concept to completion.
S/he works closely with internal clients (AKM Departments) and external vendors overseeing accuracy, quality control, deadlines, and budget requirements.
This is a maternity leave cover contract for a period of one year.
· Support the Design Manager in the creation, development, and production of print and digital design projects, including but not limited to marketing materials and campaigns (large-format advertisements; print advertisements; brochures; promo cards; and web, email, and social media graphics), program-related materials (invitations, menus, event programs, and educational activities), presentation materials, signage and environmental graphics
· Contribute to the creative identity of the Museum while ensuring consistency with the Museum’s brand and visual voice
· Review internal and external projects to ensure that all pieces are in keeping with the Museum’s brand and visual voice
Correspond with internal and external clients as well as service providers
· Analyze the needs of internal clients to produce concepts that meet project objectives
· Collaborate with internal clients to ensure that projects adhere to schedules and budgets
· Develop and refine layouts, create press-ready files for production, supply service providers with detailed specifications to obtain estimates, review print and digital proofs, and provide constructive feedback
· Maintain soft and hard copy files to document all phases of projects
· Assist with the supervision of interns, contractual designers, photographers, as well as other service providers
· Assist with the care and maintenance of the Museum’s photography and video assets
· Help the Design Manager develop processes and plan projects and timelines
· Perform other duties as assigned by the Design Manager
Qualifications & Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or equivalent education and/or experience
· Five+ years experience in the creation, development, and production of print and digital design projects
· Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite CS6/CC (Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign), Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook), as well as with both Mac and PC operating systems; experience with BrightSign an asset
· Detail-oriented, quick-learner, independent, strong multi-tasking/time management, prioritization skills and problem-solving abilities
· Excellent written and spoken communication skills, organized, efficient, and positive
· Passion for Learning: demonstrable consistent desire and curiosity to learn and acquire new knowledge
· Work hard with a “do whatever it takes” attitude and persevere to overcome any obstacles or challenges that may be encountered
· Ability to work in a fast-paced collaborative team environment to create designs that work within budgets and timelines
· Ability to be flexible and change priorities quickly
· Knowledge and interest in art, design, history, and world cultures with a strong understanding of the museum and cultural heritage sector
· Expressed interest in the mandate of the Museum.
Please send your cover letter and resume to akm.hr(at)akdn.org on or before February 5, 2017.
Please also include a Portfolio containing 8-10 pieces that demonstrates an ability to develop strategic design solutions
The Museum thanks all those who apply, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please note that the Museum is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. Upon request, suitable accommodations are available under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act for applicants invited to an interview.