Other BBC WorldwideW12, London, England, GB
BBC Worldwide Limited is the main commercial arm and a wholly owned subsidiary of the BBC. BBC Worldwide exists to support the BBC public service mission and to maximise profits on its behalf. It does this through investing in, commercialising and showcasing content from the BBC in the UK and around the world, In 2013/14. BBC Worldwide generated headline profits of £157.4m and headline sales of £1,042m.The UK region delivers nearly a third of BBCW’s revenues (c£360m), across a broad range of sectors, including Channels, TV Distribution, Consumer Products, Live Events, Publishing and e-Commerce.
BBC Worldwide needs a highly innovative, creative and digitally savvy UI designer to work across two of its leading web properties, topgear.com and BBC GoodFood. Working closely with our UX, development and product teams we need somebody who can design striking, inventive, highly functional and useable user interfaces that match the needs of both our customers and our business areas.
You will be able to operate within an agile team with minimal guidance and able to manage your workload and time autonomously. You will be working collaboratively with other front-end developers, potentially from external agencies to implement front-end solutions. Note, this is not a supporting role, you will be an integral part of the internal front-end and user experience team.
- Working closely with UX, development, product and editorial teams
- Forge solid relationships with key project stakeholders
- Collaborate with external third parties and suppliers (e.g creative agencies, software suppliers, user testing agencies etc)
- Ensuring sign off from brand owners
- Meeting BBCW accessibility requirements
- Ensuring designs meet both the business and consumer requirements and objectives
The Ideal Candidate
Knowledge & Skills
- Proven design skills – ability to create crafted, comprehensive and striking visual designs across a range of platforms and products
- Knowledge of a range of design tools such as Sketch, Adobe Creative suit (Fireworks, Photoshop, Illustrator etc)
- Knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Knowledge of prototyping tools (e.g. Invision, Flinto etc)
- Responsive design
- Working in a scrum methodology
- Ability to effectively communicate rationale behind design decisions to wider team and stakeholders
- Ability to integrate on designs rapidly and devise multiple variant concepts for testing when required · Modular and design system approach
- Knowledge of interactive design processes and practices such as Lean UX
- Ability to work closely and collaboratively with UX, development and product teams
- A career history encompassing designer roles (digital) within a challenging, changeable environment comprising multiple business areas
- Significant previous experience of user interface design within a customer focused commercial environment with a track record of delivering world-class web and application UI designs.
- Extensive experience of working with development teams to implement web/app designs to exact specification
- Experience of working to defined brand guidelines and to brief, showing understanding and relevance to the target market
- Organised, calm and able to work under pressure in a fast moving environment remaining motivated and committed at all times
- Experience in designing for multiple platforms (Mobile & Tablet, Desktop, apps/web)
- Awareness of orthodox and emerging design patterns
- Design of digital style guides, pattern libraries
- Version control