UX Designer CurioLondon, England, GB
About the Company
Curio is a subscription based app where you can hear great journalism. We curate outstanding journalism and offer it as immersive audio. Our partners include the Financial Times, The Guardian, The Washington Post, Bloomberg Businessweek, The Economist and Aeon. We are building Curio to help people more easily understand the ideas shaping our future and become connected to the world, anytime and anywhere. We want to empower people because we passionately believe that inspired people change the world.
Time is at a premium for people and audio is a medium that fits around people’s lives rather than the other way around. Moreover, with the arrival of smart audio devices, the world is perfectly poised to accept audio as a mainstream source of information and entertainment. While radio and podcasts have been around for ages, the true potential of audio and screenless media is yet to be realised. Curio is a well-funded startup (one of the few companies in audio to complete a Series A) that has been growing rapidly and consistently. We are backed by some of the best tech and media investors in the world, and have the founding team required to build the media platform of tomorrow.
As we look to revolutionise what people listen to as well as the way they listen to it, we are looking for an outstanding Product Designer/ Lead UX Designer to help us refine our existing offering and define our future one. There’s no better time to get onboard than at this exciting stage of growth.
About the Role
We are looking for someone who is equally passionate about designing elegant user experiences as much as using systems thinking and human-centred design as a source of inspiration to solve complex problems. Specifically,
Lead user research to improve user growth, engagement and retention, using techniques such as user interviews, surveys, usability testing.
- Work alongside product teams to shape requirements and apply design thinking.
- Create designs using input from user research, competitor analysis, business priorities and data.
- Produce user flows, wireframes, prototype and Sketch layouts etc. to a very high standard, with a test, fail-fast learn and iterate approach.
- Communicate and collaborate with Engineers to define and implement innovative solutions.
- Proactively identify opportunities for improvement – both evolutionary and revolutionary – to enhance overall product usability, growth and user experience.
- Deliver innovative experiences across platforms including mobile, tablet, web, smart speakers, smartwatch to
- carplay with a working knowledge of distinct design constraints and nuances.
- Bring a can-do, self-starter attitude to an ambiguous, fast-paced, and rapidly-growing startup.
- Communicate effectively and present to and influence other teams including product, business, content and senior leadership.
An ideal candidate would have
- Proven record as a product designer, user experience designer or similar design-related role, in a fast-growth consumer facing environment.
- Experience of working with the Agile methodology and with both marketing and product design teams.
- Previous mobile app design experience.
- Design intuitive graphical interfaces for desktop, tablet and mobile devices.
- Effectively working in teams and managing both upwards and downwards.
- Degree in Design, Human Computer Interaction, or equivalent professional experience.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Competent with industry-standard software: Sketch, Zeplin, Figma, Marvel, Adobe CC.
- Ability to use both quant and qual insight to inform decision-making.
- Able to work with and deliver personas, user journeys, page flows, wireframes, page comps and interactive prototypes.
- Language skills: Fluent in English, both written and spoken.
You will be working with people who
- Are here for the long-term to build the media platform of tomorrow
- Feel that sense of urgency to design, build and ship fantastic products
- Believe that the end-product says a lot about the people who built it
- Are naturally empathetic to our end users and have an ability to translate that empathy into a delightful product
- Enjoy teaching others
- Are data driven
What we offer
- A once in a lifetime opportunity to create a product that shapes the world
- A strong team to learn from and work with
- Customer facing product backed by top investors
- An internationally diverse, sociable, dynamic team with a clear vision and strategy
- Competitive package with a pension scheme
We are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace and encourage applicants from all backgrounds.
Rewards Package and Remuneration
The total rewards package and remuneration will be based on experience and potential.