UX Designer GruntworkNew York City, New York, US
Help us make Gruntwork delightful!
We give software teams a complete, world-class cloud infrastructure that lets them go to prod in days. Typically, the process of launching prod infrastructure in the cloud is just awful. It takes months of tedious work, hundreds of thousands of dollars, and often results in poorly maintained code and anti-patterns in the end. We call our company "Gruntwork" because we take away this Gruntwork for our clients so that they can focus on the parts of their software that are unique to them.
We are 100% remote, ~15 people, profitable, and fully bootstrapped (i.e. no debt, no investors). Our small company works with both startups and name companies like Toyota, Adobe, and the US House of Representatives. We also care a lot about humans.
What's the opportunity?
We're looking for a UX/Product Designer who can help us build out a SaaS platform for our customer experience. You'll dive in deep to how we work, the structure of our product, how devs think, and what the essential requirements are to get a job done, and then we'll work together to craft an intuitive end-to-end experience for our customers.
We also have a public website that needs updating, so you'll take the lead on this as well. You'll be our first full-time designer so you will set the design direction for the company, working directly with the founders.
What are the requirements?
- Experience building web-based SaaS apps. We'd like to see prior examples of full end-to-end designs from ideation through problem solving all the way to full UI. Because we focus on developers, we'll be targeting a desktop experience first and a mobile experience second.
- Experience building marketing websites. Although the primary focus will be on building our app, we'd love to work with you to build out our marketing website as well.
- Familiar with HTML/CSS. You don't need to code out your designs (though bonus points if you can), but you should be familiar with the elemental concepts of HTML/CSS so that your designs are built with a thought about how they'll be implemented by the developer.
- Familiar with best practices. How should we do user testing? How do we store and manage a global design guide? What's the right balance between upfront research and speed of iteration? We'll look to you to be a leader in design best practices.
What are the benefits?
- Above-Market Salary. We compute your salary formulaically, using as inputs the average salary for your job title in New York City, the Gruntwork multiplier (currently 1.45) and the cost of living in your home city relative to New York City as reported by numbeo.com. We aim to systematically pay above market while also paying fairly and transparently.
- Profit-Sharing Bonus. We set aside a pot of money at the end of each year based on profits and distribute bonuses according to a formula that uses as inputs your level within the company and the length of your tenure at the company.
- Performance Bonus. We give performance-based bonuses of $5,000 - $15,000 as often as once a quarter, depending on your performance.
- Progressive Equity. We grant progressive equity to all new Grunts.
- Medical Insurance. We offer high-quality plans, including some with no deductible through JustWorks.com
- Dental Insurance. We offer high-quality plans and pay for 100% of the cost.
- Vision Insurance. We offer high-quality plans and pay for 100% of the cost.
- FSA and HSAs. We don't contribute to these accounts, but we do offer them as an option.
- 401(k). We contribute 3% of your salary to your 401(k), regardless of how much you contribute yourself.
- Disability insurance. If you get disabled, we have a policy that will pay out a portion of your salary.
- Hardware budget. We'll buy you a brand new Apple Macbook Pro upon joining. It will be owned by you, not the company.
- Personal Budget. We'll give you a personal budget of $500/month to spend on improving your health, productivity, or knowledge.
- Minimum Vacation. We require that you take at least 4 weeks of vacation per year.