UX Designer The Art Institute of ChicagoChicago, Illinois, US
The Art Institute of Chicago, founded in 1879, is a world-renowned art museum housing one of the largest permanent collections in the United States. An encyclopedic museum, the Art Institute collects, preserves, and interprets works in every medium from all cultures and historical periods. With a collection of approximately 300,000 art works and artifacts, the museum has particularly strong holdings in Impressionist and Post-Impressionist painting, contemporary art, early 20th century European painting and sculpture, Japanese prints, and photography. The museum’s 2009 addition, the Modern Wing, features the latest in green museum technology and 264,000 square feet dedicated to modern and contemporary art, photography, architecture and design, and new museum education facilities. In addition to displaying its permanent collection, the Art Institute mounts more than 30 special exhibitions per year and features lectures, gallery tours, and special performances on a daily basis
About the department
The Art Institute of Chicago is looking for an innovative and experienced engineer to join the Experience Design team, working specifically with the digital product team that supports the website. The Art Institute of Chicago is an encyclopedic art museum with more than 300,000 works in the collection.
About the position
The web developer will collaborate with a small team of full-stack developers and a product manager and work closely with other museum departments, including digital marketing, membership, strategy, and education.
Collaboration: Collaborates with stakeholders in design, analytics, marketing, and membership to optimize the membership and visitor transaction experience from an engineering perspective; collaborates with other engineers with an open-source sensibility.
Engineering: Comfortable digging into all areas of the stack needed for feature development—database schema, custom content management systems, and backend and frontend frameworks; develops applications with a functional knowledge of security concerns and provide feedback and guidance to the Network Services team with regards to server, network, and hosting concerns; monitors systems and proactively diagnose issues for quality assurance and web performance.
Project planning: Identify, advocate for, and own experience-driven projects to have a positive impact on the visitor experience and efficiency; partners with Web Product Manager to coordinate sprints, and reports on progress to stakeholders;
Values: Adheres to the museum’s shared values; supports the museum in its commitment to creating a diverse, inclusive, and equitable institution; treats colleagues and visitors fairly and respectfully, recognizing the value that diverse backgrounds and perspectives bring to our organization; makes choices, demonstrates behaviors, and adopts attitudes to prioritize equity and inclusion in staff interactions, in visitor engagement, in communications, and within the specialized focus of the department's work.
Please note that this position is responsible for critical operational systems and may require on-call assistance during nights or weekends in the event of systems failures.
- Proficient in building MVC applications in object-oriented languages like .NET and C#
- Proven track record of hitting milestones in fast-paced environments and an ability to estimate, balance, and adhere to complex timelines
- Strong communication skills, with an ability to translate complex, technical ideas to non-technical people
- A passion for creative problem-solving with code and all that it can bring to the museum experience.
- Versed in using package managers
- Understanding of cloud platform services like Azure
- Understanding of Git, and interested in keeping a clean commit history
- Comfort with integrating with, as well as building and maintaining JSON APIs
- Fluency in agile development. Familiarity with track ticketing systems like Jira
This position will be a remote position while restrictions on the office environment remain, with the option to continue working remotely after restrictions are lifted. The working environment is subject to change as the situation with COVID evolves. Occasional onsite time may be required in the future.
We offer a competitive, comprehensive benefits package:
- 5+ weeks of paid time off
- Paid holidays (up to 14 days)
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive retirement plan (up to 9% matching contribution)
- Tuition remission and Tuition Exchange Program
- Great employee discounts
- Complimentary general admission to participating cultural institutions