UX Designer tonebaseLos Angeles, California, US
tonebase is an online music education company that lets anyone learn from the world's greatest musicians.
We're a fast growing VC-funded startup, originally based out of sunny Los Angeles, but now spread out all over the world. Since launching in 2017, we've produced over 500+ online lessons across two verticals: Piano and Classical Guitar.
Our mission is to expand to more instruments, as well as other creative fields, democratizing access to the top minds in the creative arts. And we're looking for a passionate, creative, talented designer who can help us accelerate our growth.
We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply, even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Each new hire is an opportunity for us to bring in a different perspective, and we're always eager to further diversify our company. tonebase is committed to building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best and most rewarding work of your career.
About The Role
We're hiring a UI/UX designer to join the Growth team at tonebase to help us shape the design direction of our marketing website, onboarding flow, and new user experience.
As the first designer on the Growth team (and the second full-time designer at tonebase), you'll use your visual and UI design skills to tackle areas of opportunity that will have the biggest impact on our growth rate. You'll do customer research. You'll look at data. You'll come up with experiment ideas. And you'll design. You'll learn from us and we'll learn from you. You'll have the freedom and autonomy to do your best work, and plenty of support along the way.
In broad terms, the Growth team is responsible for accelerating user and revenue growth. We accomplish this by:
- Lowering acquisition costs by maximizing conversion rates across the full customer journey
- Driving product adoption and engagement by removing barriers and providing guidance
- Increasing lifetime value by increasing retention and expansion
We're currently focused on new user acquisition. And as we scale that up we plan to move further down the product funnel to work on onboarding/new user experience, engagement, retention, etc. Here are some things we've worked on recently that might give you a better sense of what you'll be doing day to day:
- Designing a custom checkout flow to increase the % of website visitors who start a free trial
- Creating a quiz to help people find the right lesson to get started with based on their interests and skill level
- Designing scaled SEO landing pages for the hundreds of lessons, courses, artists, and composers we have on our platform
- Redesigning our highest traffic web pages to improve both conversion rate and brand/UX
- Simplifying our pricing section to increase the % of visitors who select a plan
We're looking for someone who approaches design through the dual lens of customer experience and business impact. Who not only solves for customer pain, but does so in a way that helps us grow the business quickly and effectively. Here are some of the skills and mindsets we're looking for in this role:
- 2-4+ years of UI/UX design experience
- Excellent visual and UI design skills
- You're proficient with Figma (or an equivalent tool and you're willing to switch)
- You're a clear, analytical thinker. You reason from first principles and solve problems by working backwards from the objective you want to accomplish
- You can execute quickly, you're motivated first and foremost by driving impact, and can balance both user experience and conversion
- Strong communication skills, both written and spoken
- You enjoy working collaboratively with a team
- Must be located in the US or Canada
- You've designed products and experiences that have reached a large audience, especially while the product and team are growing
- Strong product analysis, ability to frame problems, and define scope while making appropriate trade-offs to bring the best experience to market
- Strong customer research skills, ability to run customer interviews, surveys, user tests, and derive meaningful insights from them
- Design experience on growth initiatives and experiments
- Experience working remotely
Pay And Benefits
This is a full-time role. And it's currently 100% remote due to COVID-19. While we currently have an office and production studio in Los Angeles, you should be comfortable working remotely — the rest of the company does!
- $60-72K salary, plus 0.05 - 0.1% equity
- Ability to work remotely
- Top of the line health, dental, and vision insurance
- New laptop/equipment of your choice and whatever else you need to be productive
- Compensation for learning materials, tools and resources to help you learn and grow
- Unlimited PTO — we're flexible
If/when we return to a "new normal" we expect to employ a hybrid model where the majority of work is done from home but an office-space is made available for breakouts and all-hands. But for now (and for the foreseeable future) we're all working remotely.
How To Apply
To apply to this role, please hit the "Apply Now" button below and submit your resume, design portfolio, and application questions.
Again, we strongly encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. We believe that great designers come from diverse backgrounds and disciplines. Show us your skills, unique perspectives, and passion for how we can create a game-changing educational resource for musicians around the world.
We expect to take 1 week to review all applications. You'll hear from us within a week about whether you've advanced to the design challenge part of the application process. If so, we'll send a design brief with a problem for you to solve. Then on to an interview. Our interviews are one hour, all remote, with your future colleagues, on your schedule. We'll talk through your design and your thought process. No gotchas, brainteasers, or whiteboard designing. And we aim to make an offer within 4-6 weeks.
Look forward to hearing from you! ✌️