UX Designer UnboxedLondon, England, GB
At Unboxed, design is a team sport
We are a London based digital service design and development agency with 14 years of experience in creating great digital services in both the public and private sector. Our delivery approach is strongly based on Agile principles. We work in multidisciplinary teams, collaborating all the way from initial user research and customer engagement through to building fully functioning digital services. We believe in openness, transparency and honest communication, encouraging collaboration and learning from each other.
Digital services we’ve designed and developed include UK Parliament Petitions, SH:24 online sexual health, Char.gy electric vehicle charging, and others.
About the role
We are looking for a London-based Product (UX) Designer with solid experience across the full end-to-end process. You will be facilitating workshops, conducting research, translating findings, prototyping and carrying through to visual delivery. You will work as part of multidisciplinary teams to turn designs into digital products that make a meaningful impact in the world.
We're growing Unboxed and we want you to contribute to our company culture. We want to hear about your interests beyond design. We want you to help us add to our community leadership, mentor more junior people and increase our diversity.
Some of the key activities within this role
- Planning and running user research alongside your team to understand user behaviour and identify user needs
- Iteratively designing digital products and services from low-fidelity sketches, through wireframes to high fidelity visual designs
- Collaborating with developers to ensure consistent, high-quality design standards are adopted throughout the service
- Facilitating workshops and design sprints to rapidly design, test, and iterate prototypes
- Mentoring and supporting less experienced team members
- Communicating product design concepts to clients and other stakeholders
- Taking an active interest in the design discipline and regularly share the subject with the broader team and community
Key competencies and skills
- Previous experience in a product design, UX, interaction design or similar role
- A ‘generalist’ mindset with ability to work across design disciplines, ideally a combination of UX design and research, and visual design
- Ability to lead and manage a range of activities from client engagement workshops to prototyping and testing with users
- Proficiency of creating user flows, prototypes, and visual designs
- Strong understanding of usability and user centred design practices
- Passion for emerging technologies and hunger to innovate
- Ability to think strategically to address issues of high uncertainty and complexity
- Ability to communicate the process with stakeholders and other interested parties
- Championing openness, transparency and honest communication
- Willingness to work collaboratively with a cross-functional team
- Willingness to get out and learn from users, customers and stakeholders
- Experience working in Agile project teams, including sprint planning and daily stand-up meetings
- Ability to create coded prototypes with basic knowledge of HTML & CSS
- Experience creating and working with design systems, components, and patterns
- Experience with projects that follow the GDS Service Standard
- Experience with modern accessibility standards and tools for testing
- Experience in conducting inclusive research and design activities
- Strategies to bridge the gap between design and development
- Potential to champion the value of design within Unboxed and broader community
Benefits of working with us
- 25 holiday days per year, on top of the bank holiday allowance
- 10 "Innovation Days" per year to explore your own ideas
- Holiday flexibility and loyalty bonus benefits
- Maternity and Shared Parental Leave policies
- A company-wide peer-to-peer mentoring programme
- A generous conference budget
- Salary reviews twice a year
- Flexible working hours and location
- An informal culture of growth
- Monthly "Linkers and Thinkers" idea-exploring lunches
- Weekly reflection at "Whines & Cheers", our Friday company retrospective
- A "Bike To Work" scheme
Send us your CV and portfolio. If we think you will make a good team member, we will arrange to meet with you. Here, we are trying to understand what motivates you and get some initial thoughts on how you might fit within our team.
If we think you will compliment our team, we will invite you into our office to take part in a short whiteboard exercise. This gives us the opportunity to see how you uncover constraints to inform design decisions.
Send us your CV
Vicky is our people person. If this role sounds of interest to you, she would love to hear from you.
Send your CV through to Vicky at email address.
From there, she'll be in touch. Good luck! (Sorry, no recruiters please — we do all our hiring in-house).