UX Designer Wikimedia FoundationSan Francisco, California, US
SENIOR UX DESIGNER, TRUST & SAFETY
The Wikimedia Foundation is a non-profit organization supporting Wikipedia and other Wiki projects. The Foundation operates one of the world’s top five websites and has global reach and impact. Technology and innovation are critical in our quest to support every human in freely sharing knowledge.
The Product Design and Strategy Group at Wikimedia is looking for a Senior UX Designer with a solid understanding of user experience and product development processes to work within a new multi-disciplinary product team that will be focused on improving trust and safety. You will be influential in creating and developing the user experience, feeding directly into the product strategy for your product team.
You will be responsible for…
- Reducing complexity to create simple, delightful experiences for our users.
- Creating prototypes and running experiments to iteratively test your hypotheses.
- Using and evolving our design system and guidelines, to create new features from ideas on paper to implementation.
- Applying accessibility standards and guidelines to your designs.
- Collaborating with product managers and engineers to create product plans and maintain product design processes.
- Distilling complex concepts into easy to understand talking points to engage with our readers and communities throughout the design process.
Skills and experience….
The right person is better than the right set of experiences. These are the traits we’ve identified that make great additions to our team so far.
- Can communicate their design goals and processes clearly and concisely to other team members and stakeholders.
- Provides constructive feedback to other designers and welcomes feedback from others.
- Experienced in conducting research, as well as collaborating with UX researchers, to build a deeper understanding of audience behaviours.
- Is able to generate ideas for the future as well as think tactically about how to deliver work in the present.
- Is self-motivated and seeks to evolve their skills and share what they’ve learnt with others.
- 5+ years of experience contributing on design teams.
- Bachelor's degree and/or Masters degree, or equivalent in related work experience
Additionally, we’d love it if you have...
- Background in content consumption, publishing, education, or news
- Experience acting as a researcher, both in-person and with remote participants
- Have familiarity with Free Knowledge and/or Open Source communities
- Speak more than one of the nearly 300 languages of the users you’ll be designing for
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.