UX Designer Wikimedia FoundationRemote or, San Francisco, California, US
The Wikimedia Foundation is a non-profit organization supporting Wikipedia and other Wiki projects. We operate one of the world’s top ten websites and have global reach and impact. Technology and innovation is critical in our quest to support every human in sharing knowledge.
Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Senior UX Designer for our Contributors team.
Wikimedia Foundation aims to increase the participation of contributors on projects like Wikipedia. As a senior designer on Contributors team, you will be responsible for editing experiences across these projects. You will be working with a set of talented designers to create and maintain these experiences.
- Create experiences that go beyond good design into delighting users
- Reduce, simplify, distill
- See features through from ideas on paper to implementation
- Use evaluative and generative research to inform your design decisions
- Provide mentorship to designers on your team
- Understand and improve design processes
- Collaborate with research team in understanding the problem space
- Interact with our communities from the beginning to end of your design process
- Work with our growing team of designers to create reusable design patterns
- Be an active part of the development team throughout the product process
- As a senior designer, be the voice of design
- Distill complex concepts into simple, easy to understand talking points to effectively articulate your vision with your team and the communities
The right person is better than the right set of experiences, these are the traits we’ve identified make great additions to our team so far.
- Have great instincts for making design decisions and be able to support your choices with research and data
- Experience planning and facilitating evaluative research
- Ability to tell stories that convey your design goals both internally to team members and to stakeholders
- Have a creative vision of your own while being able to work within the bounds of what is possible, and imagine what can come next
- 5+ years of experience solving complex product design problems
- Know when to switch from blue sky ideation to tactical thinking
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in related work experience
- Demonstrated judgment skills to find solutions
In addition to the basic skills needed for being successful, these skills could set you apart from the pack!
- Ability to prototype your designs in working code.
- Background in content publishing
- Experience acting as researcher, both in-person and with remote participants
- Have familiarity with Free and Open Source communities
- Experience designing for multilingual audiences
- Anything else that will let us know more about who you are that you would like to share, WMF project username, your blog, Instagram, dribble, Twitter, GitHub etc.
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that supports and hosts Wikipedia and several other Wikimedia free knowledge sites. Every month, the Wikimedia sites are accessed by more than a billion unique devices. Wikipedia consists of more than 40 million articles across hundreds of languages. Every month, more than 70,000 volunteer editors contribute to Wikipedia. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501(c)(3) non-profit that is funded primarily through donations and grants. It currently employs over 240 staff members.
At the Foundation, we build technology to help people everywhere access Wikipedia, across devices and in nearly 300 languages. We engineer privacy for our readers and editors so they can safely and securely explore Wikipedia. We create programs and initiatives to make Wikipedia freely available to more people in more parts of the world. We build new tools for the community of editors so they can continue to improve and grow Wikipedia. Roughly a quarter of our budget goes to supporting the community that make the site possible, including through grantmaking programs that enable volunteers and enrich the information on the sites.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, massages, cooking classes and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location