Web Designer The World Food ProgrammeRome, Latium, IT
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. We are currently seeking to fill a UI Design intern position in our Innovation and Digitalization unit of the School Based Programmes Division, based in Rome, Italy.
Brief description of School Based Programmes:
WFP provides school meals to more than 16 million schoolchildren, and supports governments deliver school feeding in over 70 countries. It provides technical assistance and policy advice to national governments to strengthen national programmes as social protection interventions, and to link nutrition-sensitive school meals to local agricultural production.
- Title of Post: Internship
- Supervisor: Product Manager
- Unit: Innovation and Digitalization
- Country: Italy
- Duty Station: Rome
- Duration of internship: 6 months
- Expected Start Date: March 1st
Duties and responsibilities
The intern will focus her/his work on supporting the development of the Plus School Menus software, one the innovative solutions current being developed in order to improve the efficacy and efficiency of School Feeding programmes. Plus is an online software that optimizes school feeding menus to be affordable, nutritious and local. Currently starting its global expansion after a successful proof of concept, the software will go through a process of further development and enhanced usability.
Under the direct supervision of the Product Manager, the candidate will perform the following duties:
- Contribute to the Development of User Interface designs for different screens of the Plus School Menus software
- Conduct weekly interviews and UX tests with potential tool users. Produce reports of the observed user behaviour, and suggestions for design improvement.
- Contribute to the Development of Communication materials (PPT, one-pagers).
- Ad-hoc support to the Project Lead on Software testing and data management.
Qualifications and experience
- Currently enrolled with at least two years undergraduate studies completed, or recently graduated (within the past six months) with a degree in Design, IT, Engineering, Mathematics, Communications, or related field;
- University course attendance in the past 12 months;
- Excellent command of English; Working knowledge of a second UN language would be an asset;
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook)
- Knowledge of UX/UI processes and strong design skills. Knowledge of UI design tools (such as Invision, Zeplin, Adobe XD, Sketch…).
- Knowledge of Human Centered Design approaches
- Good communication capacity, ability to interact effectively with users and partners.
- Knowledge of basic Front-End coding (Preferably Java/React JS) – an asset.
- English writing skills – an asset
Required soft skills/WFP Competencies:
- Innovative, proactive and creative mindset.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically; ability to work autonomously.
- Enthusiasm, good interpersonal skills
- Good analytical ability to compile, maintain and analyze data;
- Excellent editing and proofreading skills;
- Skills in developing sources for data collection;
- Attention to details;
- Ability to work in a multicultural team environment;
- Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with people of different national and cultural background.
Working knowledge of English (proficiency/level C) is required.
Supervision (Level/Methods of Supervision)
Under the direct supervision of the Product Manager the incumbent will be provided with close mentoring, guidance and technical supervision. Performance planning and reviews as well as learning and development discussions will be elemental part of the supervision. Head of Innovation will be the second-level supervisor. With the support of a comprehensive induction package and assignment of a buddy/mentor, the intern will rapidly become a productive member of the team.
Throughout their assignment WFP interns have access to an industry leading learning platform, weLearn. Depending on opportunities and availability of funds, he/she may participate in WFP workshops or seminars, as appropriate.
At the end of the assignment, the Intern should:
- Learned how to be part of a web-based software design team
- Acquired experience on translating product ideas into interface designs
- Acquired experience on user research, and how to translate the findings into tangible solutions
- Acquired a broader knowledge on how design impacts software development processe
VA Reference no: 115717
Closing Date: 20 February 2020
Terms and Conditions:
- Interns receive a monthly stipend from WFP up to the maximum amount of US$1000 per month depending on the duty station of assignment.
- WFP is not responsible for living expenses, arrangements for accommodation, necessary visas and related costs.
- WFP will reimburse travel ticket for candidates who are nationals of developing countries and are pursuing their studies in their home country.
- WFP will recognize candidates’ educational credentials from recognised institutions that have been certified by competent international or national authorities such as the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) or Ministries of Education.
- Candidates who bear any of the following relations to WFP staff members are not eligible to apply: sons, daughters, brothers or sisters.