Web Developer SoapboxWhitechapel, London, England, GB
The successful applicant will join the team of developers and he or she will be expected to work with a wider team of digital designers and project managers.
You will be involved with some larger projects – with the opportunity to help develop user friendly CMS’, data visualisation tools and online readers. You will also be assisting with maintenance and updates on existing Soapbox websites and as such, you should be able to quickly understand and work well with legacy code. The varying nature of the day-today tasks alongside a multitude of different projects will require you to work flexibly and have a multi-disciplinary skillset.
You will be using numerous different frameworks and languages – these will depend on current development team practices and individual project requirements.
We will expect your work to be of a high and maintainable standard using the Soapbox code style guides – providing support to the web team, colleagues and clients as required throughout the project lifecycle.
You may be asked to communicate with clients to discuss their use of their digital products, how to edit content, help, advice and highlight any potential limitations of proposed solutions. You will also need to liaise with colleagues to work towards design updates to sites and ensure the site remains on brand.
The successful applicant will have or be able to demonstrate the following:
Experience and technical skills/knowledge
Currently studying for a bachelor’s degree in multimedia, web development, web design, computer science, information technology or a related discipline and are looking to complete a year in industry as part of their course.
An understanding of testing web products across multiple browsers, platforms and devices.
Commercial experience is not necessary, but you must have examples of relevant work or projects – with the relevant code accessible for review.
It is essential for you to have a working understanding of:
- Familiarity with some of the following is desirable:
- Experience of contributing to a web project as part of a team.
- W3C and WAIARIA web standards
- Version control
Other abilities and skills
- Will have demonstrated your aptitude for development through academic achievements, work experience or even any development work you have done in your spare time.
- Strong people skills to be able to communicate with all members of staff and as part of an effective web team.
- Have a learning disposition – the candidate should be eager to expand their skills.
- Deliver excellent customer care, including working professionally with clients who have little or no technical knowledge of web development.
- Excellent time management skills and an ability to prioritise different tasks and contribute to multiple projects simultaneously.
- Meticulous attention to detail, ensuring that all points in a brief or specification are met and that any ambiguities are resolved before a project is completed.
- Fluent English.
- You must be eligible to work in the UK
How to apply
Please email us your CV with an application letter, providing clear evidence of your suitability for this internship and explain why you are interested in working for Soapbox.
Applicants are also required to send a portfolio of websites and/or other web projects on which they have worked, identifying sections of code that they are wholly or largely responsible for creating. We will also accept a code repository as part of this.
All applications should be sent by email with the subject line: Web development internship.