Web Developer Solomon R. Guggenheim FoundationNew York City, New York, US
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is seeking a Web Developer to maintain, extend, and enhance the museum website and related systems, through both adding functionality and evolving existing code. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Interactive, the Web Developer works on multiple projects concurrently, ranging from maintenance tasks to new functionality, and enjoys collaborating with other roles within the Interactive department. The Web Developer works closely with internal and external Developers to ensure consistency and best practices, and with Information Technology (IT) staff to identify server and software needs and ensure the integrity of enterprise systems data displayed on the site. The ideal candidate for this position is a self-starter who thrives on a sense of ownership and takes pride in producing simple, elegant, and compliant solutions from definition through QA.
Founded in 1937, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is dedicated to promoting the understanding and appreciation of art, primarily of the modern and contemporary periods, through exhibitions, education programs, research initiatives, and publications. The Guggenheim network that began in the 1970s when the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York, was joined by the Peggy Guggenheim Collection, Venice, has since expanded to include the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao (opened 1997) and the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi (currently in development). Looking to the future, the Guggenheim Foundation continues to forge international collaborations that take contemporary art, architecture, and design beyond the walls of the museum. More information about the foundation can be found at guggenheim.org.
- Extend and support frontend website features developed in AngularJS.
- Support backend WordPress website feature development and maintenance, collaborating closely with internal and external developers, including bug resolution, performance optimization, and usability and visual design adjustments.
- Collaborate with Interactive managers to establish workflow and DevOps procedures.
- Collaborate with Interactive Manager(s), Designer(s), and Editor(s) to define user interaction, functionality, and system requirements for enhancing and building features.
- Serve as an in-house expert on web development trends and best practices (for technologies both within and beyond core competencies) for modern frontend technology workflows, and communicate technical solutions to non-technical staff.
- Accountable for meeting development deadlines as well as estimating and planning all development timelines in collaboration with Interactive team.
- Collaborate with Web Systems Administrator (IT) to identify server and software needs and to maintain existing technology connections to 3rd party systems/enterprise applications within the CMS environment (Net Community, The Museum System [TMS]).
- Expand documentation of website and related systems.
Qualifications and Requirements
- A minimum of 5 years of programming experience.
- Demonstrated open-source expertise developing and configuring content management systems, including a deep and practical understanding of WordPress. Experience with the AngularJS (1.4+) framework and flux pattern (using Redux) is a must.
- Experience with native mobile app development or native apps using web technologies is a plus.
- Fluency with PHP 7.x, MySQL, and Vagrant (and VirtualBox).
- Working knowledge of DVCS (Git preferred), module bundlers (such as webpack) and Unix commands.
- Working knowledge of using APIs to extend functionality, mobile websites, audio/video for web, and other web-related technologies.
- Working knowledge of Nginx and Linux, and project management/collaboration software.
- A self-starter who demonstrates a high sense of ownership and can work independently, provides accurate work estimates, and manages development timelines across multiple projects.
- Strong communication skills in order to interface with various departments and management levels, technical and non-technical staff.
- Experience in creating documentation of technical systems and training users.
The Guggenheim offers a competitive salary and excellent medical, dental, life, disability, and retirement plan coverage. Our staff also enjoys generous vacation, sick leave and personal days, access to a variety of cultural institutions, discounts to museum stores, and a stimulating and collegial work environment.
Qualified applicants please send your resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, to employment(at)guggenheim.org. Indicate the job title “Web Developer, Interactive” in the subject line. Only those applicants who meet our requirements for this position will be contacted.
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.